Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Vapor Barrier" for waders
[cool][#0000ff]Necessity is the mother of invention. My three year old neoprenes have been used hard, and are wearing thin in the feet. In spite of several seam repairs and pinhole leak plugs I have been getting damp feet on my latest cold water trips. Damp feet get cold. No good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Borrowing a trick from ice fishing...wearing plastic bags over socks to help stay dry in slush conditions...I decided to put some bags over my socks on my last trip to Pineview (see pic). Took a few of the plastic bags that cover my newspaper every morning and checked them for size. They fit perfectly over my size 13 foot with two pairs of heavy socks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I dressed for fishing, I discovered an additional benefit to having the plastic bags on my feet. They slipped into the neoprene waders much easier, with less tugging to get them all the way in. The plastic serves as a lubricant.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fished all day in 43 degree water without anything worse than normal cool. When I got back in and took off the waders, there was a small amount of water in the left boot foot, but it had not penetrated to my socks. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now I gotta get Mrs. Santa to put a new pair of waders under the tree.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those newspaper bags are really handy aren't they? I keep all mine for odd things.

I'll have to put some in my gear bag for this trick should my waders start leakin'!

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was raised to be frugal, and I have a tough time disposing of perfectly good plastic bags. So, I also keep a supply in several spots and find them to be a quick and easy receptacle for all kinds of goodies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The bags worked well for a slow leak in the boot foot of my waders, but I doubt they would have helped with the crotch seam split I had in my lightweights last year. Can you say COOOOOOL?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you for the great idea Tube Dude. I recently had issues with a seeping foot leak in a pair of high end Cabelas waders. I'll sure have this idea firmly implanted in my memory bank.
I was fortunate that they exchanged them for new ones for $50 after two years of hard use. They looked rough, but that was only leak.
Thanks again Tube Dude. ole Mike
[signature]
Those bags could also double as 'liquid waste removal' receptacles. You wouldn't have to get out of your tube to 'download' [:p]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I wouldn't use a newspaper bag. Some of them have small holes and tears...from when they hit the driveway. Seldom a problem with the feet but something you wouldn't wanna dribble inside your craft after "emptying your bilges".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got that covered anyway. No need to get too clinical on this board.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I have used the bags a couple more times and I think I like the slippery entrance to the wader booties better than the vapor barrier thing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
This reminded me of something I had completely forgotten. I used to do this when going to elementary school in my "Moon Boots". We didn't have Gortex back then, we had bread bags!
I really like this idea though.. I have a tiny hole in my heal on the right foot in my waders. I might be done for the year with them, but next spring.. I am ready!
[signature]
"I might be done for the year with them, but next spring.. I am ready! "

[cool][#0000ff]Wimp.[/#0000ff]
[signature]