Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corn? What kind? On the cob or canned?
Hi all! Just found this forum and thought I'd sign up and ask some questions. My coworker was telling me that you can use corn as trout bait, but he didn't know what kind.

Do you guys use fresh corn kernels off a cob or whole kernels from a can? Also, how do you rig it up? Floating or bottom? Any details would be appreciated! Thanks.
[signature]
Welcome to the site!

Check your state laws before using it. Dont use him saying you can use it for the law cause the DWR wont like that.

I'm not sure on how would be the best way to rig it cause its illegal here in Utah.
[signature]
As mentioned check your state laws to see if it is legal or not. If it is use canned corn and fish it pretty much the same you would a worm.
[signature]
Why would corn be illegal to use as bait? It is just a vegetable right?
[signature]
This may just be hearsay, since I heard it when I was a lot younger and always just took it for fact, but what I remember hearing about it was that trout can't digest the husks and it ends up killing them by blocking up their digestive tracts.
[signature]
This is what I've found from my short research I've gotten that it can clog up a fish cause they cant digest it very well. Just like you and I cant digest it very well. So it can clog them up and lead to a higher mortality rate.

Like i said though check your state laws. UT, WY its illegal to use it, but some other states do allow it.
[signature]
Thanks for researching that, but there are alternates to using real corn such as pro-cure, smelly jelly, and other gels and sprays.
[signature]
I see you are in Cali? I am not sure of the regs there but ID allows corn for bait and Utah doesn't.
I lived in ID for 6 years and corn was a major producer for trout for my family. Right out of the Green Giant can was best. It really works good with crawlers or salmon eggs.
Now, there are several different ways you can go about using corn or fake stuff if not legal. You can't beat it if it is.[Wink]
Pro-Cure makes a gel that is about as good as the real thing. It stays on lures or bait very well.
Exude makes rubber corn kernels that come in a package that each kernel is attached to each other. They work very well for trout and kokes. They last much longer than real corn too, but some times the real thing can't be beat.
Welcome to BFT.[cool]
[signature]
It is total mythology that corn kills fish.
It is indeed true that they can't digest it or extract any nutrients from it, and if fed nothing else they eventually die of malnutrition.
However, they pass it right on through just like humans.......
Corn is most effective when chummed liberally, and many states including California strictly prohibit chumming in fresh water [but not corn as bait per se].
Other states probably just assume you can't keep yourself from chumming.
[signature]
I never heard this, its so interesting. Does corn work for other fish too?
[signature]
yes i have caught perch, suckers, chubs, trout, bass, and carp on corn although my corn and nightcrawler days are coming to an end the only time i really ever use them is when i take my son and wife fishing with me i use plastics lures and flies now.
[signature]