Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worm Shocker
[font "Arial"][size 2][font "Arial"][size 2][font "Arial"][size 2][font "Arial"][size 2]Have you ever wanted to get some worms to go fishing without digging for them. Make yourself a worm shocker for free. Just push it in the ground, plug it into a electrical socket and the worms come out of the ground. You just pick them up. Work best after a rain. This is how I make them.

First get a wooden handle about 3 foot long. A broom handle works good or cut a small tree anything just make sure the handle is made of wood it will have current running thru it. Don’t worry it won't sock you but It might bite you a little if the ground is real wet so don’t hold the shocker in one hand and pick up a worm with the other hand.

Next take a metal rod about 2 feet long. Drill a hole in one end of the wooden handle and drive the rod into the handle.

Last get a 110 volt cord you can cut them off old fans, radios, or anything else. Make sure the cord will plug in the electrical socket both way. Some cords will only plug in on way and you will have to file down one prong to make it plug in both ways. This is important because you will only have one wire to the worm shocker. Take the cord split the two wires apart. Then strip the ends of the wires about 4 inches. You should have a Y shape with two stripped ends. Cut one of the two wires off at the top of the Y and tape it good so you have one wire stripped. Twist the one wire to the rod and clamp it there. Make sure you only have one wire to the rod or it may blow something out.

Take your worm shocker and stick it in the ground. Then plug it in to a electrical socket the worms should come up from the ground. If not you have to unplug the cord and turn it the other way then plug it back in. This shocker only works on one wire so it has to be plugged in the right way. You will have to used a drop cord for distance. To check the worm shocker to see if you have it plugged in the right way touch the rod to something metal that is in the ground and sparks should fly.[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]

[Image: wormshocker.jpg][/size][/font]
[signature]
this works but the drawbacks are that it's extremely DANGEROUS , and it drives the worms out of the area . use extreme caution if you do this ! it only takes a couple mili-amps to stop your heart ! KIDS ,DO NOT DO THIS !!

THERE IS A SAFER WAY , BUT IT REQUIRES A LITTLE MUSSLE , GRUNTING !

GRUNTING IS AS OLD AS THE COVERD WAGON . IT REQUIRES THREE THINGS .

(ONE ) A CURVED SLAT OF WEATHERD STEEL ( AN OLD LEAFSPRING FROM A CAR WORKS GREAT ) .

(TWO ) AN 3" DIA. OAK POST "DRIVEN" INTO THE GROUND ABOUT 2-1/2 FEET DOWN AND ABOUT AS TALL AS YOUR HIP WHILE STANDING .

(THREE ) MUSSEL POWER !

PALM EACH END OF THE LEAFSPRING IN YOUR HANDS WITH THE INSIDE RADIUS OF THE LEAFSPRING RESTING ON TOP OF THE POST . NOW PUT THE LEAFSPRING ON A 30 TO 45 DEGREE ANGLE AND PUT A LITTLE PRESSURE ON IT WHILE STRIKING IT IN A DOWNWARD MOTION . ( AS IF YOU WERE TRING TO FILE THE POST SMOOTH USING THE LEAFSPRING ) IT MAY TAKE A COUPLE STROKES TO FIND THE PROPER ANGLE BUT YOU WILL EASILY HEAR A GRUNT SOUND WHEN YOU GET IT RIGHT .

KEEP IT GRUNTING AND WATCH THE WORMS COME OUT ! DAY OR NIGHT ! DRY OR WET ! NO ELECTRICITY TO WORRY ABOUT .

IT WORKS AND IT IS SAFE . THE WORMS WILL STAY IN THE AREA TOO . THE VIBRATION STIMULATES THE WORMS WOO-HOO ORGANS CAUSING THEM TO SURFACE FOR A GOOD TIME . JUST PICK THEM UP , AND SINCE THERE WONT BE ANY WOO HOO FOR THEM , TREAT THE WORMS TO A FISHING TRIP INSTEAD !
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]I had never heard that but sounds like it might work. As for the worm shocker yes it could dangerous if you don’t make it right. If you make sure the other wire is taped up and out of the way you will be ok. If it hits both wires it will blow the fuse or trip the circuit because you have direct contact with 110. I have check it with a volt meter on a 50 foot cord and with only one wire to the rod it feeds off half of the electrical sever and ground completes the circuit. It will not do anything if you touch the rod with you hand when it is in the air and when in the ground it only puts out 28 volts and most of that is absorbed thru the ground if the ground is dry it will not work at all.. If it is real wet it will put out 45 volts and that will bite you but no more that a electrical fence. But I would used caution in making this worm shocker. I have been shocking at my home for 10 years and it doesn’t seem to bother the worms because of the low volts. You can buy them from stores also. [/size][/font][font "Arial"]

[/font]
[signature]
well I got both you boys beat.

the fastest and easeist way to bring worms to the top of the ground is to use a pan of worm (not hot) water ivery dish soap (not the degreasing kind) mix the two and pour on the ground and the worms will come up on their own.

personaly I would rather build a ground bed for my worms keep it moist and feed them coffee grounds, through your left over worms there when you are done fishing. they will stay there and breed and with a turn of a shovel you will always have a dozen on hand.

I agree with lone hunter that the shocker you are sugesting is just too dangerous. they make a hand generater shocker for worms that works with out the risk of loosing your life. if your wood handle gets wet from where you are holding on to down to the metal rod you will be shodked your self. if at any time you come in contact with the metal rod you will be shocked. If you are not fully insulated from the ground you will be shocked.

any one of the conditions mentioned above can result in loss of life. so kids do not do this. ever.

if you want to build a safe one use two rods. get a truck altrnator and mount a crank on the armiture so you can spin it by hand. you will gennerate 12 volts at 30 amps.

stick your 2 rods about 1-2 feet apart after you have watered the ground or after a rain. spin the crank as fast as you can and watch the worms come up right out of the ground.
[signature]
When I was growing up in Holland and fishing in the canals, we used a more simple method for collecting our crawlers. After watering or after a rainstorm, my Dutch friend and I would go out to the ballfield and ram a pitchfork into the ground and beat the handle rapidly with the palm of our hands. If, after a minute or so we didn't find any rising crawlers, we would move to a different spot and try again. While I haven't tried this since I've returned to the states, I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work the same in these parts. If I had a pitchfork I'd try it myself. Unfortunately, someone else who does might just have to give it a go.

Justin
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]I will have to give all these things a try. The worm bed is the best way to go overall. I see where you would be concerned it does use house current. But it will not shock you enough to hurt you with a 50 foot cord. They sell them in all the stores here. I personally know over 150 pepole that have and use them or make them and none have ever be hurt. But I guess you could be hurt anything can happen with electricity. You could used the same Worm shocker with a small car battery. Just cut the plug off and hook it up. Make sure the battery is on a piece of wood the ground will drain down the battery. This way is just harder an more trouble but work just as good.[/size][/font]
[signature]