Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
desert pike
I posted this on the Utah Forum then as an afterthought I am placing it here as well. Thought that some of you Pikers might like to read about some of the good northern fishing we have here in the desert. The reservoir mentioned is about 1100 acres when it is full as has very little structure. Hope you enjoy the tale. Best of regards, Pez Vela

Yuba 28 November 08

Spent Thanksgiving and Saturday at home behaving myself. When I saw the weather prognosticators predicting inclemate weather with a falling barometer, Knew I had better take advantage of the situation and prepare the boat for a trip

Up at 4:00am, as I couldn’t sleep. Coffee burned the sleep from my tired body. I took my time loading the boat insuring that I didn’t forget anything. At 5:30 I was rolling through the quiet streets of Spanish Fork on the way to pick up my fishing’ partner, Wrong Way Johnson. His daughters boyfriend was at his house and was joining us. Our destination had not been predetermined. It was to be either Starvation or Yuba. It didn’t matter much to me. I was sure the fishing was going to be good with the localized bad weather and the dark of the moon which rising coincided with the sunrise I told them didn’t care but that I believed we had a decent shot at a Yuba trophy, so the decision was made and we headed south.

We launched at 6:15 the air temp was 32 and the water temp was 39. Skies were dark and threatening rain or sleet as we set off. No other trucks or boat trailers were at the ramp. Too early. Too cold. Too miserable for any other anglers. Perfect for the three of us.

By 7:00 we had our first northern in the net. A small 28” that took a crank bait tight to the shore in about 6 feet of water. It resisted valiantly as pike are prone to do, but was quickly brought to the net, measured, photographed and released to tell all of its friends that we were in the house and caution was needed as we were determined.

It wasn’t long until a second northern, twin to the first, was in the boat. The taping and photographing ritual preceded the release. “you were warned”, I chided the beautiful little fish as Wrong Way release it.

“Two fish in under an hour, albeit small ones. It’s going to be a great morning” I thought to myself or spoke aloud to no one in particular. The other two in the boat murmured in agreement and went back to casting with renewed fervor.

At 10:15 a chartreuse backed YoZuri crank bait was detained midway through its journey from the bank to the boat in the maw of a 37” northern who fought like Smokin Joe Frazer.
It too, was returned to the cold, off colored water , hopefully wiser for its ordeal.

We continued to move west up the lake as huge rafts of mallards tipped their wings as they sped down the lake as shots reined up at them from unseen hunters. The electric motor hummed as minutes turned into hours and we continued to cast. We joked about muskies being the fish of 1,000 cast and Northern only 999 casts.

We carefully worked the painted rocks area and circumvented the island with scorned casts. We awaited the hour of the moon in late afternoon, but still continued to cast in spite of the predicted hours of success.

The weather threatened then cleared and two other boats joined us or nearby.They searched for walleye and perch and paid us little attention as they went about their business. As long as Northern pike were our quarry and walleye theirs, we could tolerate their trespass.

It was after four when we returned to the point I affectionately call “Wrong Way Point” in honor of his losing an absolute giant of a pike only weeks before. A fish so grand and powerful that we had it captured in the net TWICE and it escaped. A fish of broad shoulders and thick body that approached 47 inches and wou ld surely have been a new state record had it not regained its freedom, A fish that would have collapsed metal spring scales with a mere 25 pound capacity. The fish was a monster of dreams and both Wrong Way and I searched for its twin, cousin or brother. We were in search of a monster.

“My fish is right on the rocky point” He bragged as he cast the lure. The lure hit and I saw the swirl before he could react or even protest. “CHRIST!” I heard him exclaim as he set the hooks. The reel protested and I feared that the light braid without shock leader would be frayed or surgically severed by the giant Pikes razor teeth.

I was frantic as I cleared lines from the water, raised the outboard and electric motors from the arena. Nothing could be in the way as the battle continued. As Minutes past the big fish finally came to the surface long yards from the boat. Even at 25 yards I could see it was a huge fish, but not the Goliath we sought.

“How big?” He questioned as he circled around the boat preventing a break off.

“Somewhere between 15 and 20”, I answered as I grabbed the net. “ I
didn’t get a good look. but she is not the record fish, simply a Yuba giant. Loosen your drag a little and wear her out and then I’ll net her.”

No steel leader or even a mono shock leader. I was sure that the line would part any second and every minute the fight took only increased those odds. I was filled with trepidation, but Wrong Way continued the battle with the steely calm that many years with rod in hand battling fish brings. The excitement comes later.

After 10 minutes it was done. The big fish was in the net. 42 1/2 inches. Estimated weight 18 pounds. Not the state record we were searching for, but a fine trophy never the less.

It was after dark when we returned to the ramp. The water temperature had risen to 45 degrees, We had been on the water for 12 hours. As we readied the boat for the trip home we reminiced over the days event and I thought about the year. 25 trophy northern pike were boated, 8 of them over 15 pounds. To me, it is an extraordinary feat. These magnificent trophies didn’t come from a huge lake in Canada, europe or the midwest, but rather a small desert reservoir, unnoticed amongst the storied great fisheries of Utah; Powell, Flaming Gorge, Strawberry, Fish Lake and others.

All of these fish, save 3 were returned to the water for others to catch. Granted, the fishing isn’t easy. I average 3 days of fishing for each fish. Three days without a bite until a monster will rise from the depths and destroy a lure.

I had decided to end my quest for a record after this trip but maybe, just maybe when a storm approaches and the moon and solar conditions are right, I’ll return one more time before the ice covers the reservoir. Tight lines.
[signature]
nice fish. i saw the report over on ut board. glad you decided to put it here on the national toothy critter board. plan on pounding it this spring right along side ya. lol ken
[signature]
I think i will be seeing your name in the record books for pike soon(If the"desert" can produce one). You seem to be addicted to it?? Nothing like teeth and power is there.[Smile] Thanks for the report.[cool]
[signature]
It has become a dangerous an expensive compulsion. When the fishing is good I stay awake at night trying to remember exactly what we did right. When it is a fishless day, I stay awake all night wondering what we did wrong and what else we might have done to make the trip a success.

I'm studying sun and lunar charts. Damn near ready to consult an astrologist. My wife thinks I have lost my mind!

I can go to a trout lake and fill the boat, but I have lost all interest even in trophy lake trout. All I want to pursue is PIKE. Almost every night I'm on the web ordering pike lures, reading everything I can find relative to fishing for them or musky thinking that their behavior must be similar.

I plot against them like a battlefield general does, planning every little deatail of a trip. If I'm not fishing for them or reading about them I am checking my gear for the next trip. I think I truly must be out of my mind.

Surely everone who catches "Pike fever" isn't as radical as I am getting. For their sake I pray not. Tight lines
[signature]
I think you are beyond any human help or intervention. I went through the same stuff but to a bit lesser extent. I am addicted to tigers, somewhat different than your pike, but still a toothy treasure to behold. Once the ice shows up, you will forget about them for a while. HOPEFULLY. Good luck in your future trips and try and get some sleep.[Wink]
[signature]
this is too funny, I went thru the same thing with walleye about 15 years ago spent a few grand on gear, books, videos, any info I could get my hands on.
But now that the pike have come on so strong in yuba they are starting to do the same thing the walleye did to me 15 years ago. after that day in June this year I was pretty much hooked. I've only landed 4 pike in my life, all from yuba. later chuck
[signature]
Hey thats a really nice story!!! I think all pike nuts share the same dream, the dream of hooking into that monster thats gonna put us in the record books! It might not have been the record but it was one hell of a nice fish you got yourself there!
[signature]
Excellent fish.. More than 6 inches better than my best. Looks like I have some work to do this year..
[signature]
2 grand??? ya right. was phillis standing behind you while you wrote this reply? lol moore like 5 or 600 per yr dude add it up. lmao. and lets not mention fuel. how many reals did you go threw pitching jigs in 6yrs litle lone 15. i think im in jigs moore than 2 g,s. [fishin] adiiction!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I might as well add to your "illness." [Wink][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I would like to ask if you have used Lucky Strike plugs for pike. I have been using some of their smaller plugs for a while and they are my favorite lures. They have some very big pike/musky/Mack plugs that I have not even tried. Here look at this:[/#000000][/font]

[url "http://www.luckystrikebaitworks.com/product_plugs.asp"]http://www.luckystrikebaitworks.com/product_plugs.asp[/url]

[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Fishing is great though. I think you have reached the point where you are now in "fishing heaven." [laugh][fishin][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
No I haven't used them. Didn't know they existed. Extremely good looking lures. I think that I will order some plugs and spoons. I'm a firm believer that pike are quick studies and when they see a lure several times, they avoid it so I'm always changing up to lures I haven't tried before. Today I caught a 10 pounder on a zo-zure AND a walmart renegade crank bait. The fish took the 5 inch yo-zure clear down its throat and then hit the renegade. Greedy, blood-thirsty cuss. The story is posted to the Utah forum, titled Yuba 10 dec.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I've got about a week, maybe 10 days until Yuba starts to freeze so I won't have much time to try the new lures, but I am going to Lake Powell after pike and will give them a try. If nothing else, I'll try them in Yuba come ice off in March.

Thank you for the heads up on the Lucky strike baits. Incidentally, we caught a 19 pounder on a lucky craft bevy shad, but that is a different story. Best of regards, Steve
[signature]
are you planning on ice fishing for them? i am for sure. but i would like to ask ya is how deep are they holding? also what part of the res has been holding the most. trying to figure out where to start walking from when is gets solid. thanx ken[fishin]
[signature]
Ice fishing is not in the scheme of things for me. The last fish have came from around the island and near the painted rocks. If I were ice fishing I would try the big shallow bay that is East and north of the narrows. It's a pretty good hike from the park at Oasis and a good jaunt from the ramp at painted rocks as well.

Fish are constantly moving in the area around the launch ramp at Oasis and from there to the dam. A lot of pike have come from that shoreline and it might be a good place. The great majority of fish that we have caught were in 10 to 12 feet of water.

One other area that might produce is due east from the oasis launch ramp on the opposite shoreline. It is the area where the state dumped a bunch of big rocks for structure. If the reservoir doesn't rise a lot in the time between now and when you fish, you'll be able to see some of the rocks on the beach.

Hope that helps. Good luck and let me know how you do. Pez vela
[signature]
thanx for the info. if i get into them ill let ya know.[fishin]
[signature]
[size 2]Thanks for taking the time to write it.[/size]
[signature]