Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landlocked striper spawning season?
What time of year due Landlocked Stripers move to spawning grounds?[fishin]
[signature]
I did some research on this subject and it seems that May is a good time for them to spawn and the water must be between 58 and 69 degrees. So once the water hits 58 degrees it would not be a bad idea to go out to the lake every couple of days and look around for tails slapping the water. The call this Rock Fights. What happens is there will be 1 female and up to 8 males following here and there will be alot of rolling and splashing near the surface when the males try to gain the best position to release their sperm.

Hope this helps [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
If they are anything like a migrating striper May is the time. Look and listen for them in the flats. When they come up the Hudson I'll look for them in a very shallow flat instead of the deep water. They seem to be more aggressive when they are in the shallow. And will destroy large topwater baits and bass assassins.
[signature]
Carp do the same thing at the same time of year. I believe we called the spawn a "POD" of carp. A ball of carp all wraped up and thrashing around. Another way to locate Stripe bass making a false run like in Raystown or hybrids in smaller lakes > listen for the shad run! Thats the same time frame of stripers. Happens all the time in Southern South Central PA. As shad are reported making a run up river > we find alewifes and other shad leaving ( by spillway ) the lakes and big stripers /hybrids chasing them in open waters of lakes.
[signature]
Exactly! I know in Raystown If you see alewifes jumping out of the water like crazy in the open waters of the lake you can bet the stripers are under them feeding.

On that note if you see the alewifes jumping out of the water really close to shore, that is normally walleye trapping them up close to the bank to feed on them.
[signature]