Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rifle Scope review
I recently had the opportunity to take a look at several quality scopes at our annual Deer Classic in Nashville, TN. I was impressed with the Leupold Vari-X III and LPS models. Also the Zeiss Conquest series. All models had clear, bright optics. I was really surprised at Leupold's rigorous shock tests. They use a machine to duplicate the recoil of a .375 magnum. After hundreds of poundings their scopes are still intact, something that a number of brands failed at. The only downside I found was eye relief on some of the larger power models. However, setting up your rifle with the proper bases and rings along with proper stock fit can alleviate much of the problem. The Zeiss line had good eye relief, allowing a quick "field of view." Redfield scopes are available again, Blount now owns them and Weaver. Pricing is very affordable on both brands. I've become a firm believer in buying the best optics you can afford. Eye strain is less and available light at dusk can make a big difference. Good hunting, Ghost<br><br>Famous last words: "Ah Bears are too big and fat to run fast"
Ghost, have you heard anything on the Shepard scopes? Thanks , Flagmanonice<br><br>
I've heard a few comments that they were good scopes, however I have no experience with them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have however talked to several new Zeiss Conquest owners today and they feel it is the best scope they have ever owned. All of them have owned top of the line US scopes in the past. I'm about convenced to go there myself. 44mm "bells" are about the largest you can use without going to high mounts, a plus for my hunting. Zeiss has a very consistant 4" average eye relief, another plus. Their 4.5x14x44 should suit my .300 UM just fine. The jury is still out however. Good hunting, Ghost<br><br>Famous last words: "Ah Bears are too big and fat to run fast"