Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Equipment needed for limited budget
I have a very limited budget, But I want to get the wife and my 2 Boys out to the Ice for some great fishing. I have no Ice equipoment at all. Any ideas?
[signature]
Well in my opinion you dont really NEED anything but an ice auger or one of those things that whacks through old ice holes. Your regular rods will work just put some lighter tougher line on. Jigs are really useful so make sure you have plenty other than that you dont need much.[Smile]
BTK
[signature]
Hey Im4trout, I have a old hand auger it could use some new blades, but it works, and a older shelter, send me a personal e-mail. I'll work something out with you ?
I can help out that way [Wink]
[signature]
I have six ice fishing rods, and cant possible use them all... send me a pm and I can definately hook your kids up with rods and reels... I probably wont be able to ice fish this year... but I have three combo sets I can give you, they have been used one year, maybe ten times each... AJ
[signature]
You can look at this link for a quick breakdown of ice fishing equipment [url "http://www.henryssports.com/id25.html"]http://www.henryssports.com/id25.html[/url] . However, all you need is a hand auger, an ice skimmer, small jigs, bait, and good winter clothing. Oh and don't forget a few buckets to sit on. For years this is all we had when my dad would take me and my brothers out, and we would slay them at Scofield. Only in the last year have I stepped it up to fish finders, shelters, sonar, heaters, etc. Bring along some hot chocolate for the kids too.

It is true you can use your regular fishing rods, and in fact the longer action will actually help your kids stay hooked up.

If you're looking to buy some gear I feel that Sportsman's Warehouse has the best deals for ice fishing. They really get geared up for the season and make it easy to stay in a budget, unlike Cabelas (most of the time).
[signature]
You could always join a few of us for a trip and bring them along. I have 6-8 rods ready to go at all times and wouldn't mind helping you out on a trip to introduce you to the different types of gear I use.

Before you go out and spend lots of money on ice fishing gear (and you will spend a lot once you try it - ask my wife) it is best to try the gear and get a feel for what you prefer.

I plan to go every other day starting next week until school starts again in January. I will be fishing Scofield, Strawberry, Otter Creek and a few other lakes in those areas so let me know if you would like to join me for a trip.
[signature]
Jacksonman, that sounds just like me! I got three finals next week, and then I plan on fishing, fishing, and more fishing until Jan.12! Infact, I actually plan on sleeping in my car or what not at a couple places so I can fish a couple days in a row and maximize my time.
[signature]
I would also agree that Sportsmans has the best prices for ice gear.

My favorite go to jigs for ice fishing are the 1.5 inch ice cutters (SW has them in stock although there is a better selection on-line) and the radical glow tube jigs which you have to order on-line. I generally fish with a small jig or ice fly on the top and a larger jig from 1.5-3.5 inches on the bottom depending on the lake and the targeted species.

Good luck and be ready to open up that wallet - but it is worth it!

And RyanCreek - when are we going to go fishing? We should meet up at Scofield sometime.
[signature]
Well, so far I plan on hitting Huntington next Monday. Then I need to cram to finish out the semester strong. Since I work those stupid graves on weekends, I pretty much only have Monday - Friday to fish. Friday's I couldn't go far cause I'm not off work until 9 and I'd need to be asleep by 4pm. But yeah, weekdays work good for me. You'll just have to keep me updated with your plans and I could meet up with you.

As far as your ice fishing rigs go, I think that Fuzzy's tactics have rubbed off on us! I use glow tubes as well with a small stinger treble hook to hold the minnow on and get more hookups. Above that I put a small glow ice jig. If I'm not fishing for tiger trout, I use cutter bugs or smaller tube jigs. Sometimes I use jigging rapalas, small kastmasters, etc., but they have to be biting good for those.

Does the radical glow make much of a difference with catch rates over regular glow?
[signature]
If everything goes right I want to go to Scofield Sunday.
[signature]
Thank you to everyone for posting so fast. I really appreciate it. I have learned so much about fishing and were to go here in Utah.

Just the other day Nicole said we have gone to so many different places this year and she has had so much fun doing it. After 11 years here in Utah and only going to 3 lakes. and 1 river. Until this year after I became a member of BFT.

So thanks to all of you.

Kent
[signature]
If you're looking for more permanent gear try KSL. I see ice stuff on there for really sheap all the time nowadays. Good luck to ya! (I'd offer some ice gear but I dont have any period! I am still new too!)
[signature]

Well, you know Ratstar that some big browns and good pike are caught from under the ice every year. Seems you like fishing for those, so I suggest you try it out. [Wink]
[signature]
Oh I didnt mean to sound like I wasnt all over that ice! I will be all over it!
[signature]
Good to hear. Smack that ice!
[signature]
[cool]Hey I didn't realize you were a new guy to icefishing and Utah and everything too. I sent you a p.m. Come join us at Scofield on Sunday and we'll make sure you get into fish. We slay them usually at the place we are going...
[signature]
Thank You Hooter_Patrol.

I appreciate your help.

I got the blades at Fish Tech in Holladay as Sportsmans do not carry them for the Strikemaster Mora auger.
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]
Hey Im4Trout,
Good to meet you also and have fun, don't work to hard drilling all those holes, did you try setting up that ice tent yet?
ones you set it up it is not to bad the next time [Wink]
Have fun out on that ice, also let me know if you catch any ? [fishin]
[signature]
Naaa I'm still at work. I'll set her up in the garage tonight. Course it will be hard to cut through all that concrete to check out the auger ha, ha, ha. Who knows me and the dog just might sleep in it tonight. Course the ole lady probably won't take kindly to that. Being as I'm her foot warmer at night.

I surley will let you know how it goes. I really appreciate it.

And all you BFTers Thank you for making this our best year of fishing in Utah.

Not only did you all help bring the family closer, but we got into the fish too.

I'm a member for life.
[signature]