Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEAN WINS 2008 HI-SEAS GRAND SLAM SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
Columbus, Mississippi - Scott Dean from Terrell, Texas, held on to his lead to win the HI-SEAS sponsored 2008 Grand Slam Championship in Columbus Pool in Columbus, Mississippi. His two-day total was 27.64 pounds.

"I'm just relieved that I pulled it off", said Dean, "I thought I had really messed up only bringing in 3 fish today. I went to the same area I had been fishing all week, and they just weren't biting. All week I've had the creek all to myself. Finally this afternoon I caught the 3 fish between 1:00 and 2:00pm. On the first day of the tournament, I used a swimbait, yesterday I used a square-bill crankbait, and today I caught them on a 6" worm. It was one of those weeks where you had to try just about everything", he continued.

"I would like to thank my sponsors, Triton, Mercury, MotorGuide, Daiwa, Falcon Rods, Double ZZ Custom Lures, Gamakatsu, Spro, and North Texas Marine. But, I would like to also thank my biggest fan-my wife, Karen. I certainly enjoyed being here in Columbus; everyone was really nice. I would also like to thank Hi-Seas for sponsoring the Grand Slam Tournament these last 2 years. But, I would especially like to thank American Bass Anglers for holding a tournament that enables guys like me to fish for a boat", said Dean.

The winning Co-angler was Jamin Meaux of Gueydan, Louisiana. "I am so pumped up"¦. And fired up"¦ I can hardly believe it", said Meaux. "I was so close all week; on Thursday I only had 1.24 pounds but on Friday I had 7.21 pounds and I knew that if I could find them today, I might be able to pull it off. It was slow going all morning. I tried to just concentrate on fishing very slowly-mostly on the bottom at about 10 feet using plastics. The fish I caught was late this afternoon", continued Meaux.

"This is the very first tournament series I have ever fished. We have a pond behind our house and my Dad & I fish almost every day for bass. But, my home water is Grand Lake which is really just marshes"¦ most places not more than 5 foot deep", said Meaux. Jamin is married to his wife, Gretchen and has 2 children, Caleb, 6 years and Addison, 2 years old. "I would like to thank the anglers I was paired up with each day. They were all really great to fish with. I've had a great time here this week and want to thank Hi-Seas for making the tournament possible and American Bass Anglers for putting on this event. Now, I've got to figure out how to get the boat home!!"

The top 10 tournament professionals and co-anglers from the Southeast and Southwest divisions competed for a share of over $100,000 in cash, bonuses and prizes. Scott Dean will take home a TR21X2 Triton boat powered by a 225hp Mercury OptiMax Motor valued at over $50,000 while the Jamin Meaux will receive a TR186 Triton/Mercury package valued at over $30,000.

HI-SEAS is the exclusive Line Sponsor of the Hi-Seas Grand Slam Series. For over 28 years AFW & HI-SEAS has been providing serious freshwater and saltwater anglers with the finest quality line, leader, and rigging products. AFW has the largest selection of wire line and leader products in the industry. They produce all wire, strand, and cable at their factory in the United States. HI-SEAS offers a variety of lines specifically designed and formulated to meet any fishing challenge. From micro-thin, low stretch champion White Lightning, to big fish tough, Grand Slam monofilament and braid.

For more information on AFW/HI-SEAS fishing products, visit online www.americanfishingwire.com or www.hiseas.net. For a free catalog call toll free (800) 824-9473. High-resolution images are available on request.

Media Contact

Yvette Rodriguez (866) 423-2325, ext. 102 or yvette@americanfishingwire.com