Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time To Tinker and Tie
Unlike TD I can't get out even if I wanted too. Everything is frozen solid.

I was on Joni's Blog and saw a nice fly tied pretty much the way I like to tie streamers. I think I've been inspired to switch into winter tying mode. Thanks Joni!

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think my tube has been on open water for the last time this year...and for a while into next year. We finally got our big winter blast and all the waters are turning hard and white...even the ones at lower elevations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been pouring and painting jigs for the last month. Got a bunch of new ice fishing stuff ready for testing. Also got a new ice auger, but it is not big enough to drill out a hole I can fit my tube in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am always looking for that ultimate pattern. One that catches more than ONE fish.
I have several that work on a regular basis but, looking for something different.
I find I take one guys pattern and tweek it a little and now have my own representation of tha persons fly that works for me.

My latest is.....inspired by the reverse reaction of a fly. Most flies (not talking dries cause everyone knows what they are suppose to do, sit on top the water) but like nymphs. They sink then while stripping them in they bounce up then sink on the pause.
Then there are the reverse like I mentioned. Flies with a little foam involved and fished with a sinking line.
There is the ENGLISH "Boobie fly, which is a small body woolly bugger with a long tail and BIG foam eyes. Then there is the Gurgler. Usually tied on a small hook shank or a scud hook. Long marabou tail, chenille or dubbed body and a strip of closed cell foam across the back. Also Larry Tullis "WIGGLE BUG" which is a foam body.
The thing about these flies, you use a weighted line and shorter leaders. The fly rises on the pause and darts down on the strip.

We I think I came up with my own fly. Instead of the foam on the back, or in the front, or even the whole body. I came up with the "FG" (fish getter). Bunny strip across back, chenille body and foam down both sides. The loco foam is reallly KEWL.

[Image: fg5002.jpg]

Tried it in the TUB....really cool!
[signature]
cool.. FG's fg.. LOL.

MacFly
[signature]
It has always amazed me how easily it is for me to become inspired to tie - especially when I haven't been fishing. I stopped in to a local fly shop the other day, intending to pick up a couple of replacement items for my stream fishing kit bag. Apparently the proprietor was having the same version of cabin fever that was getting to me. We talked for a couple of hours. You would think we'd been friends for life. Before it was over he had patterns laying all over the counter and had given me a rundown on every one of them, including one of his favorite spots for catching bull trout on the fly. I've been in a tying frenzy for the last couple of days.

We've been frozen up around here as well, which is not normal for Oregon. I'm feeling better and hope to get out again once our "50 degrees and raining" winter returns.

BTW, those are nice looking flies, Joni. I experimented with boobie flies last year and caught a few fish on them. That fishing from the bottom up is really unique.

z~
[signature]