Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big people float tube recommendation
I'd like to hear form large people around 260 pounds, plus or minus about their experience with different models of float tubes, not pontoons. I am looking at H3, Fat Cat, Super Fat Cat, Buck's Bags and Prowlers or any others that can keep my butt out of the water. That's the main feature I'm worried about. I have a few hundred miles on my old U Boat and Fish Cat and have a pontoon already. I want to buy one more tube that keeps my butt out of cold water. H3 seems to have quality control problems revealed elsewhere in this forum.
[quote jaybug]I'd like to hear form large people around 260 pounds, plus or minus about their experience with different models of float tubes, not pontoons. I am looking at H3, Fat Cat, Super Fat Cat, Buck's Bags and Prowlers or any others that can keep my butt out of the water. That's the main feature I'm worried about. I have a few hundred miles on my old U Boat and Fish Cat and have a pontoon already. I want to buy one more tube that keeps my butt out of cold water. H3 seems to have quality control problems revealed elsewhere in this forum.[/quote]
Which is what? A couple problems related to some seperations? One person didn't like the way he sat in the seat? Out of thousands sold you can base an assumption because of a couple posts? Get a SFC then. Or Fish Cat. But buy some patch tape for it, because you'll need it.
[signature]
I was wondering also, what have you read about the H3?
One thing I will say, try to get something you will feel confident in and I am sure you will be fine.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am over 260. I fished SFCs for about 5 years before buying H3's for both me and my wife. We fished them for 6 months...a couple of trips per week. No matter how we adjusted the inflation or the backrests we could never fish comfortably in them. Got "butt cramps" or back aches.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sold the H3s and went back to new SFCs. Have never had a comfort problem since. Also, have never had a leak either, in spite of fishing for lots of spiny rayed fishes and dragging our craft over some rough ground. They are not as high quality in the materials as they used to be, but the fishing comfort is superior to the H3's. That is worth a lot to me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, I know three other H3 owners in Utah who all complain about the comfort aspect. I suspect there are a lot more out there who do not visit our board and may not know the difference if they have never fished in other craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The H3s are the quality standard of the industry in terms of materials and construction, but why drive a hummer if it racks your body?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bottom line...try before you buy if you can. Everybody has different needs and preferences. Your body size, shape and movements may be totally different than those of somebody else. Short trips don't magnify the problems much, but if you spend a full day on the water you want to be able to walk when you reach shore.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I wanted to add something to this, if I may.
In past post made this year on this forum, I came to some conclusions.

My family all have H3 and love them as do our close friends. BUT, we kick as in sitting in a chair and bouncing a child on the foot. We scoop.

Reading here again in the past. Several use scuba fins, and are propelling themself on the up and down. Which to me means they are kicking more like a scuba swimmer (the flutter[laugh]) Which is cool and I see it now plus the desire for scuba fins.
You would need to slightly lean back to do this. The H3 is a LONG tube and will not roll back when you lean back, thus meaning you will be sliding out of the seat. The SFC is shorter and will roll back like a recliner so to speak.
That is why some find it works (us baby bouncers) and some don't (the swimmers). So it boils down to how you kick.
Maybe, this is why Tube Dude doesn't care for a Pontoon Boat...(just a guess) In a pontoon, you have to baby bounce.[laugh]

Anyway, back on target....The SFC is an excellent choice (also)
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff] Also, have never had a leak either, in spite of fishing for lots of spiny rayed fishes and dragging our craft over some rough ground.

You have wheels! and those spiny fish know better![laugh]

[b][#0000ff]Oh yeah, I know three other H3 owners in Utah who all complain about the comfort aspect. I suspect there are a lot more out there who do not visit our board and may not know the difference if they have never fished in other craft.[/#0000ff]

[/quote]

In all due respect, I am on MANY other forums, and this is the ONLY one that finds fault with the H3. Not saying the faults are not real, I am sure they are but as in the previous post, I think that is the reason for the discomfort...SWIMMING instead of KICKING.

Still haven't heard of any leaks or blow outs with the H3 (not talking the seat because I have heard seat problems on all inflateable seat boats)

This is all I am going to say on this one, because I am all for the SFC, and the H3...two of the best in my eyes.
[signature]
I own a H3, Loved it but im selling it cause im a boat person not a tuber, if i didnt get my boat i would still use the h3.
[signature]
I'm at 255# and my ODC 420 floats me, my gear, rodholders, etc. with no problems, it's rated to 300#. The ODC is similar to the Fishcats.

AT
[signature]
Hi Jaybug,

I am 260 - 270 and I have the TU Togiak float tube. When I bought, it didn't have a seat cushion. I put ion 3 pieces of ethofoam (not sure how to spell it). I sit high enough out of the water that I barely get wet. The seat back is a little lower, but I can handle that. I have this tube for two years and I like it a lot and have not had any problems since making my own seat cushion.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]I am over 260. I fished SFCs for about 5 years before buying H3's for both me and my wife. We fished them for 6 months...a couple of trips per week. No matter how we adjusted the inflation or the backrests we could never fish comfortably in them. Got "butt cramps" or back aches.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sold the H3s and went back to new SFCs. Have never had a comfort problem since. Also, have never had a leak either, in spite of fishing for lots of spiny rayed fishes and dragging our craft over some rough ground. They are not as high quality in the materials as they used to be, but the fishing comfort is superior to the H3's. That is worth a lot to me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, I know three other H3 owners in Utah who all complain about the comfort aspect. I suspect there are a lot more out there who do not visit our board and may not know the difference if they have never fished in other craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The H3s are the quality standard of the industry in terms of materials and construction, but why drive a hummer if it racks your body?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bottom line...try before you buy if you can. Everybody has different needs and preferences. Your body size, shape and movements may be totally different than those of somebody else. Short trips don't magnify the problems much, but if you spend a full day on the water you want to be able to walk when you reach shore.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[cool]??????????????
You've never had a SFC leak?
[signature]
"??????????????
You've never had a SFC leak?"

[#0000ff][cool]Not on either of our latest models. We have each had a couple of leaks on the ones we used for about five years before...due to fish spine punctures. Neither was serious enough to even require a fast retreat to the beach.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There WERE issues with the inflatable seat on the previous SFC. They were poorly designed and developed a series of pinhole leaks at the seam junctures. But, so far no problems with the latest editions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That is good to hear TD. That tells me the quality check on them has stepped up with them being made overseas.

In a past post:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforu...ks;#277674

lead to some questions.

Thanks for the up-date and dropping by.[Smile]
[signature]
I have had an H3 for two years now, give or take, and I love it. I am 6'3", and when I bought the H3 weighed about 265-275 depending on the menu that week. The H3 keeps me up out of the water, moves around well, and is a great overall tube. I have had zero problems with my H3. Before that, I had an ODC 420, which sat a little lower in the water, but still was a great fishing platform for us larger people.
[signature]