Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Brown!! First fish through the ice this season!
Hooked up with Flycasting and Hookjaw Brimhall this morning at Causey to 1 3/4" of ice![crazy]
We decided to try it and glad we did. They beat me to the ice by 1/2 hour and i walked down with only my Vexilar to see if anything was around. We could only get to 17' of water and it was still scary. I dropped the transducer down and saw a fish so i asked Tyler to borrow his pole for a sec. He let me use it and i dropped down a glow Ratso under a kastmaster and about 2 minutes later i saw a fish coming up. I grabbed my pole just in time to feel the hit and set the hook. It felt pretty good but until it realised it was hooked, it didn't feel huge. After it made it's first 50 yard run, i knew it was big and had shoulders. I fought it for 15 minutes(Matt got video footage of that) i couldn't grab it anywhere after about 10 tries. I finally got a hand full and pulled him out. A freaking HOG![shocked] I couldn't believe my eyes! It stretched the tape to 28" and 15" girth! I stopped and had it weighed on the way home and it is 8# 13 oz. Going on the wall right under my 32"er. What a hell of a way to start the ice season. All of you guys in the Ice Contest are very lucky![sly] Matt is going to link video of it and i am adding some pics right now. Here are the video links, hope they work.
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v55Lx1Pqfk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v55Lx1Pqfk[/url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWJ3jjKPdI
Enjoy.
P.S. The ice is NOT safe yet. I wore a life jacket out onto the ice and still felt a pucker factor.[shocked]

[inline "Causey Brown.JPG"][inline "Causey brown With Hookjaw.JPG"][inline "huge causey brown1.JPG"]
[signature]
wow... very nice fish brody.

did you guys catch anything else?
[signature]
Tyler caught 2 bows and a splake.
[signature]
very nice fish dude!
good work on pulling them out before the contest guy's can get up there! thanks for the help..[cool]
[signature]
awesome fish brody!
[signature]
I did it for you Ron[sly]
[signature]
Chance of falling through the ice....big fish....chance of falling through the ice...big fish......

You made the right choice! Awesome fish.
[signature]
Very nice Fish. He will look great on the wall.

Oh, Nice Smile[Wink][:p]
[signature]
That was the best i could do. The combination of 5-hour energy, bad roads, and bad ice teamed with that fish had me shaking so bad i couldn't hold my composure.[laugh]
[signature]
nice fish dude, thats the biggest I've ever heard of coming out of causey.
[signature]
When i caught my 32" brown in 98, there was a guy that caught a 34" brown just off the dam on a pontoon the week after. There are much bigger fish in there but i can't figure out how to catch them.[mad]
[signature]
i know of bigger, but not that big in the last couple of years
[signature]
Are you kidding me? That thing is a beast! Congrats Brody. What lb. test were you using?
[signature]
I think it was 4 or 6#, have to ask Tyler. Not nearly enough to feel comfortable when he kept taking off![shocked]
[signature]
you where probly crapping your pants when he was making his runs on that size test[Wink]
[signature]
looks like you're closer to figuring it out than most other people.
[signature]
That would have been a tough fish to catch with only your Vexilar!![Wink] Doesn't Tyler get half-credit for supplying the hardware? I bet everyone and his dog will match that set up at Causey in 17' of water throughout the lake. I know I will.

Way to go, Brody! It's a good thing you didn't go to Holmes Creek, huh?[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Freaking SWEEEEET dude !!!!! See thats what i get for not going.. Just watching a monster like that hit the ice is worth it all.. You heading back tomorrow.. I'll be up there..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Nice fish Brody you are a beast. I will call you are you still duck hunting haven't seen you out.
[signature]
What a beautiful fish. I couldn't believe it when I got my 1st glimpse of him.

The line was 6#, and was put on last night. The only thing I kept thinking throughout the fight was, "I hope my knots were good..." LOL.

Congrats on the nice fish Brody! Too bad I didn't give you my other rod! [:p]
[signature]