Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Powered Socks?? And Cabelas Preserved minnows.
I have been to a couple of sporting goods stores that sell heated, battery powered socks.
I am wondering if any of you guys have used them, and if they are worth the $20+. They look like they may come in handy [footy] for the upcoming Burbot Bash.

Also, what about the bait on Cabelas website. They have preserved shad, shiners, and other minnows in bulk for like $12-20. I am just wondering if preserved minnows would work for burbot and trout since I don't have any carp/sucker meat.
Or is there some place to buy carp meat?

I have never been Ice fishing so I need some gear, and tips, anybody got any suggestions on an ice shelter as well?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is the best place to gain a little knowledge.
Thanks.

Ken C.
[signature]
i havent had much luck with the battery powered sox its been 10 years since ive tried them maybe they have improved
I also would appreciate any info on minnows like if you can purchase them anywhere between st george and fish lake
[signature]
I tried a couple of different styles of the socks. Neither one of them worked at all.
[signature]
thparkie you dont need to spend that hind of money on minnows just go to sportsmans and you can buy chubs or red sidded shiners for around $3.00
[signature]
I got the minnows for us covered Ken. We'll be able to fish for days off one bag! I wouldnt worry about getting any minnows.

I have no advice for the socks.

And I just signed up for the bash so I am definately there!
[signature]
Sounds good. If you need a ride to the Bash let me know. We can carpool if you want.
[signature]
I sure hope heated socks work well for the money! I just bought 2 pairs from Cabelas today for my wife and I for the ice season[Smile] Check out Sportsmans for your gear. They still have a good selection for poles, lures, augers etc.. Look at the Eskimo Quick Fish 3 for a light, easy to set up, quality shelter.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip on the shelter Bubba.
I will check out Sportsman's on Monday.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]For warm feet, buy the socks with the little pouch sewn on the top. The pouch is there to hold the air activated warmers sold just about every where. They come as both hand and feet warmers. You want the feet ones in the socks. Much better than the electric socks.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thats what I was planning on doing. Just using the air warmers. Cheap and dont have to worry about batteries or anything.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I had a pair of the battery powered socks that really got hot. They would almost burn the bottom of my feet. I would have to turn the battery on and off. I think that the ones you shake and warm are much better. You can buy a case of them at Sam’s club for $10. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]If you are looking for an ice hut look at the Ice Cube by Eastman, 4 man. I just got a brand new one on E-Bay for $130 with two chairs. It works great. I also just saw one on KSL for around $100.[Wink][/font]
[signature]
Where did you get the get the socks with the pouch?
[signature]
The ones that you get at Sam's are they the adhesive toe warmers, foot warmers or the regular hand warmers? I just bought 2 pair of battery operated socks at Cabela's, and then read the reviews on their website (should have read the reviews first[frown]). Looks like I'm heading back to Lehi for a credit! We used the adhesive toe warmers last ice season and they worked great!
[signature]
Here's some free advice on a trick I learned from a montana outfitter on a hunt several years back (and it works great) Buy a can of icey hot ointment, rub your feet down with it, put on regular cotton or wool socks, then a plastic grocery bag, then your boots. Then hope your feet don't get to warm. Thats the best method I've ever used (including a couple of attempts with feet warmers or electric socks. Good luck
[signature]
They are just the small hand warmers. I just open two up and get them warm right before getting out of the truck. i then put them in the toe of my boots and they work for about a good 4 hours sometimes longer depending on how cold it is. It usually takes me all winter to use up one box of them.
[signature]
Hey I just bought the same ice cube w/2 chairs. but with shipping it came to 175.00
[signature]
[#500000]This might sound dumb, But keep your head warm, and your body warm.......Your head is just like a stove pipe that releases heat from you toes on up.....Wear cotton socks, them chemical toe warmers, then heavy mountaineering socks in boots sized to accomodate all of the above......WW.[/#500000]
[signature]
Wavewolf...not trying to argue but in my experience i'd like to share...throw them cotton socks in the garbage or use em' for washing the car. you have a hard time finding any real outdoor shop that will argue, but buy a high quality liner moisture wicking sock and then a top gaulity wool sock to layer on top. Cotton absorbs moisture and wet feet are cold feet. The liner will pull sweat and moisture away from the skin and help keep you warm. I don't arue with the chemical heaters but a cheap boot is just that cheapand hard to expect great results from cheap boots. That being said by a good to great boot and life is better. In my opinion nothing beats Schnees, for quality. Their a boot to last for years, and basically can be used from everything in the fall thru the spring. I've even seen guys were them insulated covers that go over the boots, look a bit cumbersome, yet they weren't complaining about cold feet. I have even wore rubber Galloshes (sp) from smith and edwards over top of good inslated boots and did well in minus weather at strawberry. Even yet the key in my opinion is the layered dry feet. hope thishelps.

Todd
[signature]
I agree, cotton=cold. I have been building an arsenal of polyester and wool over the last couple years and am still not done.
Does anyone know where you can get these socks with the pouch for toe warmers?
[signature]
I use Hotronics (see http://www.hotronic.com) heated footbeds when it is really cold like for duck hunting when you are standing in ice water. They are real popular with skiers. I can actually get my feet too hot when cranked on the highest setting! They are pricey but really work great.

Rick
[signature]