Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12/26 PELICAN LAKE Report
Fished Pelican Lake this morning and it was on fire. We unloaded our ice gear on the East pulloff. The edge of the lake was soft, but we found good clear ice for 200 yards. We drilled to test holes to check for safety and found approx 5 inches on our first hole and a solid 7" on the last.

We fished roughly 200 yards from the truck and massacred the bluegill. We were using a jig with green tubes tipped with a worm. We found almost all the fish within 2-3 feet of the ice. As soon as we nailed the depth we reeled them in one after another. We started using different colors of tubes and the action halted, when back to green and we iced one after another.

All in all, the two of us caught about 50 each, and missed at least that many. I was able to bring in a couple 15" bass mixed in with the bluegill.

There were a few others out fishing as well, but we were the first on the water (about 8:30) and left when our wives called us at 11:30.

Pelican Lake is located 16 west of Vernal 8 miles south of Highway 40. It is a great fishery for bluegill, in fact many of the state records (if not all are held there). It is not uncommon to get 9"-10" blugill thru the ice (or in the boat)
[signature]
What size of tubes where they? How big were your jigs? You were using regular worms instead of wax or meal worms?

Sounds like you had a major blast. I tried to get some buddies to go out there and they wouldn't go. Losers. Thanks for the help.
[signature]
We were using 1/8 oz jig heads with the small bright green tubes. In fact most of my tubes came from one of those cheap WalMart jig kits. I think I paid 5.97 for them a couple years ago.

I did forget to mention that many of the bites were super light. We could have caught more if we had finessed the fish a bit, but we didnt have to wait more than 30 seconds to get a hard bite.
[signature]
We were using the small trout and panfish crawlers. They look like the mini night crawlers. Found them at Wally World in Vernal.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like it was a good day. I heading out there in the Morning from Salt Lake. I was going to head out today but the roads were too bad. Hows the water level.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
I am probably going to be heading out on Sunday night. I'll stay the night and get up and head out to the ice. Thanks for all the help.

What is the limit out there?
[signature]
The water levels seem med/high as compared to the last few years. We were about 200 yards out, and were fishing in 9 feet of water.

The limit on bluegill is 20 for Pelican Lake. You should have no problem getting that limit. As always, please refer to the Field Guide for limits.
[signature]
Is the bass limit still six?
[signature]
I checked the field guide and the bass limit is six with only one being over 15 inches. I am going to go slay them.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the report. Sounds like you found a hot spot. We arrived at Pelican at about 10am and fished out a little further from you. Our action was steady but not nearly what what you experienced. I did manage a 17" largemouth bass. We all had a good time and the weather turned off quite nice after the snow quit blowing sideways.
[signature]