Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart Inshore Report
I gave fishing on the Indian River a “B” rating this week with many species caught aboard Catch 22, just not the large numbers boated prior to the stained water conditions we all have dealt with the past couple of weeks. This morning I was in the St. Lucie Inlet with an outgoing tide. Water conditions seemed to be improving but still a far cry from what we really need. Numbers of bait schools were spotted between the Inlet and Jensen Beach Causeway which is a good sign.<br><br>Thursday, I ran a private charter in the morning heading north. Five jacks in the 5 lb. class were released just north of the Jensen Beach Causeway. On board were the DeOrea family in town from Pittsburgh, P.A. After the jackattack, we proceeded north along the west side of the river fishing for trout in 3-4 feet using 6 lb. test spinners with live shrimp and trollrites. Also a few soft rubber baits were used. By 9:15am 13 trout to 17” were released along with a 16” redfish. By 9:30 water temp was at 89 degrees already so it was time to fish a little deeper on the channel markers. Some sheephead, jacks, and lane snappers were caught still using the ultra-lite tackle. By 11:00 am we drifted a deeper channel and added 4 more trout to the list. Nothing really big , but on 6 lb test they don’t have to be. 4 anglers- 32 fish , not too shabby.<br><br>Friday afternoon I was joined again by Hank & Rich Janczewski who fished with me just two days ago. We arrived at the St. Lucie Inlet about two hours into incoming tide which means fast moving water and lunch time for the snook. I believe 6 or 7 snook to 9.5 lbs were released along with 2 nice mangrove snappers and a big sheephead. Live shrimp and trollrites on 10 lb test did it. By 3:00 pm water started slowing down nearing high tide so we ran back north to fish a few channel markers. A few nice sheephead, a small grouper and a hookup with a 10 lb tripletail ended the trip. Hope your movies come out o k Hank !<br><br>Saturday morning trip was the Underwood family who fished me two days ago. On their last trip we ran north so today we tried south to the inlet for some catch & release snook action. Some nice snook were boated and released using medium size shrimp & trollrites on 10 lb test. During the summer spawn I flatten the barbs on the hooks which makes hook removal a breeze and no harm to the fish. Using an instant hookset method you eliminate the possibility of gut hooking. When fishing with mullet or greenies I use circle hooks as much as possible. Using a slow retrieve with these hooks will give you a perfect hookset every time.<br><br>Saturday afternoon I was joined by the Kurtz family from Sewalls Point. This group also stated an interest in snook action so hi ho, hi ho, it’s back to the inlet we go! Mrs. Kurtz on the second drift boated her first snook ever, a nice 10 pounder. She had no idea how big the fish she battled was. After a quick picture her snook was released unharmed. Great job on 10 lb test. A few more fish in the inlet and a little sightseeing ended their trip. Not a lot of fish this trip but quality ones.<br><br>Finally this morning 15th I was rejoined by the Best family on vacation from England. This group has fished Catch 22 three times in the past two weeks. I cannot recall having so many repeat customers in a two week span. The four girls and mum did a great job catching a bunch including mangrove snappers, spots, jacks, bluerunners & trout all on 6 lb test. Today we sighted 5 tarpon in the crossroads area cruising northbound. Look forward to seeing this family again next year. You are the best!!!<br><br> Good fishing,<br><br> Capt. Bob<br><br> Catch 22 Riverfishing<br><br> http://www.catch22fish.com<br><br><br>