Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12/27 Lost Dog Report
A few friends and I headed up to Lost Dog last night (Saturday 12/27). We thought we would hit the burbot fishing while there were a few still available..Wink Wink.

We arrived on the ice around 4:30 and saw a few anglers with burbot on the ice. We set up and waited almost an hour for one fish. We moved around and finally found a few spots that had burbot. All in all we landed 29 burbot in about 3.5 hours.

We were fishing in 15ft of water along the south end of Lost Dog, near the cliffs.

We used pretty much anything that glowed tipped with sucker meat, raw shrimp, worms and we even had bites on plastic crawdads with no meat at all.

The bites we VEEEEEEEEERY light. You had to consistantly hold your pole to even feel them. There was little to no movement of our poles, just a light tug on the line.

Advice to the anglers during the bash:

Bring ice cleats: very little snow on the ice, so it is slippery. I saw a post a few days ago that gave us a good suggestion for ice cleats made from cup hooks. I tried it and they worked excellent cost me 1.97 at Walmart for the hooks.

Bring a lantern for your ice tent

Anything that glows...goes. Don't forget your tubes and glowing jelly.

Heater with extra propane bottles. Last night was remarkably warm (22 degrees with NO wind).

Good luck!
[signature]
Link to the Ice Cleat Post:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=459755;forum_view=forum_view_expandable;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=459755;forum_view=forum_view_expandable;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
[Smile] Nice report on burb catchin..How were the roads down in to the dog ramp ??? Also how thick was the ice ?? and how much snow is settin on the ground up there ?? Thanks for current report an conditions...[Wink]
[signature]
Ice is 4-5" thick. It is very clear and strong.
[signature]
Good to hear your gettin some of those pests. I really want to give that a try this year. I'm trying to make the bash, but probably won't be able to.
I have never been to Lost Dog.
How are the roads? Are they plowed but snowpacked or worse? How steep are the hills? Is it narrow? Is there a parking lot or is it park where ever you can?
I have a 2wd with studded snows, but it's really not that good in snow. I carry chains and a long strap, but I'd rather not use them.
[signature]
Man unless it is snowing pretty bad the day of your trip, your solid. My car could've smoke that road. There is one main road down, nothing confusing about it. And parking is everywhere. If snow was on the ground it could be confusing, but the wind has taken care of that problem.
[signature]
No snow!

I was surprised to see just a skiff here and there, but no accumulation to worry about. The roads are absolutely dry.

Ice was a good solid 8" and was clear with very little snow on top.

I am heading up again this weekend with my Boy Scouts so I will watch the weather and reply with the conditions.
[signature]
[shocked] Wow on the snow conditions !!! I was thinkin a couple o fet on the ground for sure .. Thanks again for current ice an road conditions...[Wink]
[signature]
Excellent info ... thanks... any wheelers on the ice? Did u catch anything other than burbot?
[signature]