Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freshwater Mussels?
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][font "Times New Roman"]Hey all, [/font]
[/#000000][font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I am a student studying American freshwater mussels. I live in Massachusetts where unfortunately there are not that many mussels to find. I am looking for people who come across the little (sometime not so little) buggers when outdoors. I am only looking for dead/empty shells, not live ones. I would love anyone who finds the muskrat middens on the side of the rivers/lakes (or how ever they come across the mussels) to box up a bunch of paired fellas big and small and send them my way. I collect and study and write about all the different species. I'm not concered about big or small, the more different ones the better. Anyone who would be able to help me with my studies by just picking up a bunch of the ones you find while fishing would be a HUGE help in my studies. I would certainly compensate you for your effort and of course pay for shipping too. The only requirements would be that you provide matching paired (not single) valves and that they are not totally broken (they don't have to be absolutely perfect with no chips at all, but the cleaner with their natural "skin" the better). I've been trying to make contacts with people across the country that naturally run into mussels while out fishing or hiking that might be able to just pick up shells they come across without it being a big hassle for them. I can't thank enough anyone who would consider assisting me with this project. You can contact me through this site or directly at[/#000000] [url "mailto:kczaja@fas.harvard.edu"][#000099]kczaja@fas.harvard.edu[/#000099][/url]. Thank You!!!!! And good fishing!!! [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]-Kevin[/font][/font]
[signature]
I haven't noticed any in the areas I am fishing right now, but when I used to live at Lake Cumberland they were everywhere. Next time I go out I will take a look and see if there are any in the area I am in now. I haven't really paid much attention so I can't say one way or the other. It's to bad I'm not in the other part of the state anymore as you could just walk the shoreline and pick them up all day.
[signature]
Hello Berkley,
well I really appreciate you keeping an eye out. I know Kentucky has many excellent and interesting species. Anything you might find would wonderfully appreciated.
-Thanks so much, Kevin
[signature]
Hey man. I was fishing from the bank the other day on the Kentucky River and I probably covered a mile of the bank while fishing. I saw very few and the ones I did see were small and broken or only half of them. I'm guessing the sand covers them or something with time, but I don't know. Also, the river is at flood stage in some areas here and we are pushing for it here as well. When the river goes down I will see if any were left behind from the flood or uncovered, but it looks like it will be days or weeks before the water is back down. Right now the water has come 30 or 40 feet up the bank so I can't even get to my normal fishing areas. ( not sure how much it came up in elevation, but the place I was walking is about 30 or 40 feet from the waters edge now. )
[signature]
Well, I can't say I'm surprised. Our water is up pretty high around here too. As high as it sounds down there, I'm surprised you found anything. Hopefully when it recedes it will leave behind some nice shells for you to scoop up!
-Take care, Kevin
[signature]
Are you still studying Freshwater mussels? We find shells all the time in the creek behind our house.
[signature]
[quote Bodean9]Are you still studying Freshwater mussels? We find shells all the time in the creek behind our house.[/quote]

Hello Bodean9,
I am absolutely still studying them and would be excited to see any freshwater mussels you might find and be able to send my way. Thanks so much for the offer to help!
-Take care, Kevin
[signature]
How do you want them? Photographs with something for scale or do you want actual shells too? We see tons of them (empty on the edge of the creek). The majority of the are small, buit we have found a few really large ones (3 to 4 inches long).

Gary
[signature]
I sent you a response to the email you sent. But in short, I would love to see any empty spent shells you can share. I also included a tutorial on the difference between the invasive Asian Clams and actual Native freshwater mussels. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you so much again for this help!
-Kevin
[signature]