Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surf Grub
I'm looking for someone who can tie me a couple dozen (24) Surf Grubs in size #4 and #6.

Something like this...

[Image: kens_surf_grub.jpg]

I will be more than happy to pay for this service.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there Kokak & a Happy New Year to you too.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]That is an interesting looking fly. Are you looking to fish for some surf perch?[#000000][size 3] [/size][/#000000] [/size][/#008000][#000000][size 3] [/size][/#000000][/font]
[center][signature]
[center]
Well it looks like a Saltwater hook or steelhead. Tail looks like CDC mixed with a synthetic, body, looks like a floss over a loosely wire ribbed hook OR lay down a layer of smooth floss, then twist and form ribs.
Head looks like EGG or GLOW BUG yarn and dumbbell eyes.
The tier would need to know size of hook. Length and gap.
[signature]
Well thanks to the PM from Dry Rod.
The tail is synthetics and MARABOU, the the body ANTRON which is what I meant by floss, the ribbing like I said secondly, twisting the antron, and the head Chenille.
No mention of hook though, Unless I missed that, but thanks Ted.
[signature]
Yep DryRod...

I am going after Surf Perch and everything I have looked up makes reference to this fly...

It's called the 'Ken's Surf Grub'.

Here is the make up I found on a site...

Hook:Size 10 to 6, Tiemco TMC 8089 NP
Thread:Olive standard 6/0 or 8/0 Kevlar, or Flymaster Plus
Eyes:Medium or large nontoxic barbells
Tail assembly:Spooled Antron, equal lengths of gray, olive, and orange, veiled with tan or brown marabou
Body:Olive Antron, twisted into tight cord and wrapped
Head:Medium-sized chenille, salmon, or hot pink

I will be fishing this on a 10' #7/8 rod with 8wt sinking line around Malibu and Seal Beach here in Southern California.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

After being away from fishing so long, I am really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things with fly fishing.
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]We have a couple of guys that fish the salt in SoCal. Fishing buddies moderator & professional fisherman TubeN2 and lucky old bendopolo. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Might want to give a post on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?category=11"]Calif_forum.[/url][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]A number of folks also fish the salt. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]