Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapala Lures
The past couple of days I've been playing a game on the Nintendo Wii called Rapala Tournament Fishing and I've been enjoying it. I've learned a little about the Rapala lures, and I was just wondering what experience, success or failures, all you have had with them, if of course you have used them. Was it $6 wasted or well spent?

F.Y.I., I got a Jointed J-7 Floating, Silver is the color on the tag, but its black on top, silver on the side, white on bottom.

Swimming Depth 4'-6'
(What is this) PROF.NAGE 1,2-1,8 m
7 cm 2-¾"
4 g 1/8 oz.
[signature]
I like to use the Rapala X-raps and Shad Raps. I usually replace the trebles with Gamakatsu trebles and the round split ring you tie your line to with an oval split ring. That's just me being picky, the hooks are pretty good. I think for $6 you get your moneys worth.

(What is this) PROF.NAGE 1,2-1,8 m. Rapalas are sold worldwide, create in Finland in the 30's if I remember right. I would a take an educated guess and say that it is reffering to the swimming depth in another language.
I did some quick research and 'profondeur nage' is french for swimming depth and of course 1,2-1,8 m. is meters....crazy french [shocked]
[signature]
[Image: s7_113525_renderset_01?%24main-Small%24]I've caught more fish with this lure than I can remember. {002] gold and the silver have done very well over the years. Both of my largest trout have taken this bait in the spring. Lgmouth and smallies kill it as well. It's one of my go to crank baits.
[signature]
Sweet. I finally have a little confidence heading to the water (next time I go, that is). Can't wait to try it, hope I do well with it.
[signature]
The white x raps make the pike go crazy in the murkey water that i fish in.
I havn't caught a lot of bass on the x raps though.

There's a new product on the rapala site called the glidin' rap. It looks pretty sweet. You can walk the dog right under the surface.

Hey, would you recommend that game for the wii?? I've been skeptical on the wii fishing games....I'd rather have a sweet bass fishing game where you can pitch and flip jigs and stuff.
[signature]
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. I've had a good time with it. Some species of fish, such as largemouth bass, you can just reel the fish in close and your character will pull it out. But with the really BIG fish, such as walleyes, peacock bass and king salmon, it gives you a fish silhouette in an orange circle, and you have to maneuver a circular net over the fish and then enter a button combination, which will appear above the circle. The more buttons in the combo the bigger the fish, (from my experience). I've definitely had fun doing it. My girlfriend knew I wanted it, and rented it for me so I could try it out first. It's due tomorrow and I still have the Culling and Master's Tournaments to go. There are 4 tourneys, all with I believe 5 challenges in each. I wish I could fish in reality as well as I do on the game. Check into it.
[signature]
Yeah I'll prob end up getting it, maybe along with some other fishing games I've found....I have the rapala game for the xbox and its been pretty cool, especially when you get to fish for peacock bass!
Do you get to fish any plastics with the wii game?? or is it just all the cranks
[signature]
Depending on what you fish for, Rapala lures are pretty decent. Any flashy color will have pickerel (pike & muskies, too) attacking. The Husky Jerk and X-Raps are probably the most popular models here in NE Pennsylvania. Most guys use them for river fishing for smallies and muskies. The DT series crankbaits have worked fairly well for me for largemouth in reservoirs, too.

In general, crankbaits and jerkbaits aren't the best weapon for bass around here. There aren't any big shad schools for bass to gorge on like in the south. Money baits here would be craw imitations, topwater fish imitations, and worms of all types.
[signature]
Yeah for me living in the north it sucks for bait colors....We don't have shad here except in some of the huge lakes so you basically try to match the hatch instead of using all of the shad colors they have coming out all the time. which is ok but sometimes it just seems like when you should be using bluegill colors, it doesnt always produce as well.
[signature]
Pretty much just the cranks. unless rapala makes plastics and its unlocked later in the game. when you place in the tourneys you get new gear.
[signature]
Worth every penny, just make sure to match the color to the colors of the bass's forage in your body of water.
i love the shad rap and jointed shad raps. and the husky jerks are pretty awesome right this time of year in the south. havent tried the dt series yet. I rely too much on Poes and DD22s to bother with rapala in that department.
[signature]
I'm a big Shad Rap fan since they came out years ago. It's a great search bait for me. I got every color they ever made some discontinued. i have most luck with thecolors: Pearl White, Hot Steel, and the spots in Weiss headwaters in GA seem to really like Walleye pattern.
[signature]
The jointed floter in black and gold has cought me alot of BIG Large mouths I have not had much sucess with the other colors
[signature]
I haven't caught crap on several colors lol. I catch all my LMB with trick worms on a shaky head.
[signature]
do they still make the origional shad rap..man ive cought alot of fish on them..
[signature]
Yep, the original shad color. When the first shad raps hit the market years ago the actual finish had scales all tyhe way down, the newer ones don't but I haven't noticed any differences with the ability to catch fish. BPS or Cabelas has all the currently produced shad rap colors.
[signature]
I catch a lot of fish on a shaky head too, but when the bass are staging on points and migrating in and out of creeks hard to beat in my area.
[signature]
I'm like you I replace the hooks with Gamakatsu or Mustad Triple Grip hooks and also change the original split rings with the BPS XPS split rings.
[signature]
i find them very usefull when fishing sharp drop offs oan points..they dig deep fast allowing you to work the ledge of the drop off well..my favorite is black and silver..
[signature]