Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jeffery figer files suite against boat company
I have a hard time understanding this one...

a man rents a boat it has 3 life jackets on the boat.

michigan law states that you may not ride in a boat that dose not have a jacket for every person on a boat.

the boat is rated for 3 persons. up to a maximum weight copassity.

any one born after 1975 must pass a michigan boat safety corse before thay may drive a boat with any gass powered motor. and you must have a valid michigan drivers license to operate a water craft with a gass powered motor.

So what I an having a hard time understanding is how the renter is liable for not having enough jackets for a three man boat when there are three jackets and the boat was overloaded by 2 additional persons. the boat has the maximum weight compasity stamped on the side of the boat.

at any rate the families are sewing for 40 million apeice for the persons who died in the capsizing of the boat.

isnt the driver of the boat (the capitan) liable for the safety of those pasangers on the boat he is manning?

this will be interesting to see play out...
[signature]
I feel real sorry for the lost lives. But they shouldn't be able to sue because their loved ones got careless. The operator of the craft should be ultimately responsable for anything and everyone on it. The one being sued is probably the boat renter. He should have some responsability in knowing how many are suppose to be useing it. But after that its in control of the leese.
[signature]
well Allen, that is pretty much what I was thinking, If the boat owner asked how many people are going out on the boat in writing and they stated 5 were going, then and only then would I see any kind of liability, liability on two counts, one for renting them an undersized boat and the other for not enough jackets.

I just find it hard to beleive the man is a foolish enough ti give a receipt for something like that.

Personaly I would not rent out boats to be taken out on the big waters with the big boats and freaters. I have seen the 17 foot high riders get nosed in them rollers, a 14 footer would never stand a chance.
[signature]
LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER AL ON THE BOARDS ! WELCOME ALAN !

I NEVER DID LIKE THAT WHINEY AMBULANCE CHASER AT ALL !

I HAVE RENTED MANY A BOAT DURING MY LIFETIME , THE RENTERS ALWAYS MAKE YOU FILL OUT A COMPLETE FORM , AND I MEAN COMPLETE !

IF THERE WERE FIVE PEOPLE ON THAT BOAT WELL , SOMEONE LOADED UP LATER DOWN THE WATERWAY . THE COAST GUARD DOES ONE HECK OF A JOB CHECKING OUT THESE RENTAL PLACES , I'VE SEEN THEM IN ACTION ! THE COAST GUARD DOESN'T CUT ANY SLACK ! OUTDATED OR WORN LIFEVESTS GET CONFISCATED ON THE SPOT AND THE PLACE IS SHUT DOWN UNTILL ALL IS IN TIP TOP INSPECTION SHAPE .THEY MEAN BUSINESS AND EVERY LAUNCH RENTAL PLACE IN THAT AREA KNOWS IT . IF ONE OF THESE RENTAL BOATS COUGHT ON THE WATER OVERLOADED , SOMEONES GOING TO JAIL , THE BUSINESS MAN AIN'T GONNA TAKE THAT CHANCE .

I FEEL FOR THE VICTOMS FAMILIES , BUT THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO BE PROSICUTED IS THAT SO CALLED LEACH THAT WANTS TO STAY IN THE PUBLICS EYE USING ANYONE HE CAN UNTILL THE NEXT GOVENERS ELECTION ! GUYS LIKE HIM USE PEOPLE , USE THEM AT THERE GREATEST MOMENT OF GRIEF , " I'LL GET YOU PAYBACKS FOR YOUR LOSS SOMEONE HAS GOT TO PAY " RIGHT FIGER , IF YOU DID IT FOR FREE AND NO PUBLICITY , THEN I'DE HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR YOU . WIN OR LOOSE YOUR NAME IS IN THE PAPER NOW .
[signature]
on this one we have a differance of opinion, as out ragously out landish as jeffery is he dose provide a vital public service.

with people like him around to hound those folks who feed upon the poor and unknowing because they are wealthy enough to buy their way out of any situation. Suites of these nature keeps a constant vigulance and will probably result in some kind of a punishment on those who have been skimping and defrauding their coustomers. (even though there will only be a small monitary compisation, they will have to pay something if nothing else the cost of a high priced loyer.)

jeffery is no slouch and dose not run off half cocked. there has to be some thing there for him to file on. this is why I say I am interested in seeing what the out come of this suit will be.

I doubt seriously that many of his cases pay out any where near what he is asking for in punitive damages. It dose like you say bring a lot of attention to the situation and those who are on the receiving end of his suit. This kind of publisity is just what business dont want, it puts a major damper on the income.

I would like to know more about the driver of the boat, his age, weather or not if he was drinking at the time.

here is one posibility, if the guy who rented to boat was lacking a michigan's boaters saftey certificate because he was born after 1978 and the renter did not make sure that he had a certificate then yes the renter is liable. just like selling aschihol to a minor, it is the responcibility of the proprioter to make sure that their paytrens are of age or have the specified licence required to operate the craft.

I too feal for the families and their losses, I saw on the news today that the 21 year old man was found on sunday, and the 10 year old was found today.
[signature]
I DO AGREE WITH HAVING PERCENTAGE LAWYERS , OTHERWISE THE INJURED PARTY COULD NEVER AFFORD AN AUTOURNEY . PEOPLE OF LIMITED INCOME NEED THEM .

AND BRINGING IT INTO THE PUBLIC SPOTLIGHT , THAT TOO HAS TO BE DONE FOR THE PUBLICS GOOD .

JEFFREY'S USE OF A CASE FOR HIS POLITICAL AMBITIONS , WELL THATS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE IN THE SAND . HE'S GOING TO EITHER GET OR NOT GET HIS CUT LIKE ANY OTHER LAWYER WOULD . HE STEPS OVER THE LINE WHEN HE USES THESE CASES AS POLITACAL LEVERAGE IN HIS CAMPAIGNS .

FIGER WAS JUST A NOBODY UNTILL DR.DEATH ENTERED HIS OFFICE AT RANDOM , THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM A GOOD POLITICAL CANIDATE . JUST IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME . ANY FIRST YEAR ATTOURNEY CAN FIGHT A LAW THAT DOESN'T EXIST .

AS FAR AS POLITICAL QUALIFICATIONS - HE AIN'T SHOWN ME NOTHING IMPRESSIVE YET . IF HE'S TAKING THE CASE FOR PUBLICITY TO USE IN HIS CAMPAIGN , WELL HE SHOULD DO IT FOR FREE OR AT A LOWER PERCENTAGE RATE , NOT THE USUAL 1/3 .

THE CASE WILL BE INTERESTING , JUST NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING HIM WHINE LIKE A SPOILED BRAT WHEN THINGS DON'T GO HIS WAY IN COURT . THAT VOICE - YUCK !
[signature]
I am sure tha if he looses Figer wont make a dime. look at the boat the 5 people rented to take out on lake st clair.

he also lost the dr deth case, Dr Killum is still in prison, He potitioned the court for early release for medical reasons last year, The court denied his plea, for the reasons that he stated on an earlier date that he would resume is Killum program if he was released, and did so. then telivised it to boot.

the prosicuting attourny stated that dr killum would receive the best of care that he could afford in prision as he could afford out side of prision walls.

Jeffery is a cicil rights lawyer, and proclaims that to his best opertunities. I think that is a good thing as well, because of this he has made many enimies in the political feild as well as individual repore amongst registered voters.

the one thing I see that he has going for him is that he has not condemed hand gun rights or the rights to own and bear arms. he has how ever condemed those who leave guns openly available to kids.

to be truthfull had he run for govener in the last eliction, even tho he did that dr Killum thing (and lost) I would have voted for him. being a civial right person my self and having my rights repeatedly trampled over time and time again, it is important to keep in mind that with out people like him, the rich and the government will trample over the rights of the poor and repressed.

Mr Figer all so droped Dr Killum as a client after killum pulled the telivised stunt. Yes I saw the telivised version, and after seeing it, there was no doubt that it was not assisted suicide, but muder by a willing partisapant. dr Killum pulled the trigger him self, not to mention that he filled the mans blood stream with acid, True it killed him, but the amount of pain infilcted to the so called patient by the acid was unbelivably visible on live telivision,

I was apauled when Figer took on the case, and I cherred when He through his hands in the air and said he wanted nothing to do with dr killum after that last stunt. the man did show a monical of human moral decentcy.

if dr killum was so humane, he would have instructed his patients to take a leathal over dose of over the counter sleeping pills. but then dr killum would not have gotten paid. (which concluded the case murder in the first degree)

we may never fully agree on this, but that is a good thing...

you at least know how I feal about Jeffery Figer.

that dr killum is a nasty can of worms to open..... yuck....
[signature]
oh you said it dave ! only in america can we agree we disagree and not go to war about it ! [Smile]

getting back on track thou , did they say what launch was involved ? my favorite was minic's (?) on harsen's island . $15.00 for the day( sunup to sundown) . boat , motor , full tank of gas and the latest fishing hot spots all on a map . best muskey and bass fishing around . [Wink]
[signature]