Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic Trip Coming Monday
Well, I got the kitchen pass from the wife, and Alex just bought a new Prowler Trident 15 (kayak), so we are going to be leaving on Monday for a paddle of epic proportions.

We will launch from the new Lake Mead Marina area around 5:30am Monday, and paddle the 21 or so miles through the narrows and to Bonnelli Bay. We will make camp Monday afternoon in Bonnelli Bay, and stay there overnight. At first light Tuesday morning, we will head out from Bonnelli and paddle the 6 miles across open water to the mouth of the Overton Arm, and up the last 12 mile strech to Echo Bay Marina.

Overall, it will be just shy of 40 miles!

Wish us luck on our journey, for it will be a rite of passage for both of us.

I will be taking a ton of pictures and I will come back with a nice report.

Keep your fingers crossed for no wind and no problems! I'll let you know how it goes.

The Whizzle
[signature]
[inline "Epic Journey.jpg"]
[signature]
Best of luck and have fun. You are a stronger man than I!! Be safe.
[signature]
Oh man that’s so awesome! I read that and was totally stoked for you guys. Nothing like some back country self reliance to make a guy feel alive. So you will be doing some fishing along the way or just focused on covering the miles? Don’t forget the life jackets (duh) and if you have a satellite phone now is the time to break it out. [Wink] A buddy and I are planning to climb Gass peak this weekend and I thought that was cool. Your trip puts mine to shame...Can’t wait to see the pictures. Good luck and God’s speed…Man I need a kayak!!
[signature]
Now that sounds like a great way to use a kitchen pass. An adventure to remember for a long time.

The only way I would go on a 40 mile paddle would be if there was a current pushing me the whole way. [:p] Good luck!
BaySport
[signature]
Amen Bay, that is some serious paddling. I would love to do a float like that with a nice current. Good luck ,stay safe and most of all have FUN. Take a GPS if you have one.
[signature]
Hope the weather works in your favor. Keep all electronics in a waterproof container. Maybe you will hook into a big one and he can pull you some of the way!
Be careful out there!!!!!!!

Stripercraze
[signature]
[cool]Hey Whizzle, that sounds like a whole lot of fun!! A great workout also. Be sure to save some energy for all the fish you will surely catch. Can't wait to see the pics when you get back. Have fun and be safe.
[signature]
Have fun sounds like a cool trip I just starting kayaking over the summer they are alot of fun .Be safe and please use a pole holder if fishing with cut bait [Smile]
[signature]
Well... All that planning and preparing just fell through. Alex's kayak got held up in transit, and wont be here in time for the trip. (I'm not paddling 38 miles by myself). Then I go back to work, and my wife goes back to school. Don't think Ill be able to do a trip like this for a while. Damn... Its a bummer. I was really looking forward to this. Well, looks like I might be going to cave lake for some ice fishing instead. That will be fun too. Oh well, see ya on the water-
[signature]
[cool]Bummer dude! At least you get an adventure at Cave Lake. Have fun up there and get one of those huge browns that lurk in that lake.
[signature]
Sorry to hear that man... Bummed for you. Was pretty windy on Monday anyways... Maybe later this year, when the water is warmer....Imagine throwing a popper as you drift along ... that would be awesome...
[signature]
Well, cave lake also fell through. All my big trips are getting interrupted or canceled...

BUT, I did get to do an over-nighter tues and weds.

Alex finally got his kayak, and we made last second plans to go camping. The wife let me go, and we were off.

We showed up at Calville at 4:15 PM on Tuesday, 1-13-09, launched the yaks, and paddled our asses off to make a campsite by nightfall. We paddled the 4.5 miles to sandy beach, and made it just in time. We set up camp, started a fire, threw out a couple catfish rods, and commenced drinking beer and doing whatever else you do when you are camping. No hits all night on the catfish. Did a late night pitch dark paddle after that. Lots of fun.

Day 2- Woke up before the sun did, started a fire and warmed up before setting off for rotary cove. Fished all around with all kinds of stuff, but the bass gave no love. I'm gonna say that they all still have sore lips from the WON Tournament over the weekend. Anyway, we fished through rotary cove and back to camp hitting all the point with jigs mostly. Got nothing, hit camp, loaded up the gear and headed back to the marina. Landed at noon. It was a short, fish-less trip, but fun none the less. Hey, at least I finally got out. Some pics of the BEAUTIFUL weather, scenery, and what-not...

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 011.jpg"]

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 013.jpg"]

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 014.jpg"]

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 016.jpg"]

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 021.jpg"]

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 027.jpg"]

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 030.jpg"]

[inline "Camping at Mead 1-14-09 032.jpg"]
[signature]
Looked like fun wow you guys can pack alot of supplies on your kayaks I thought I was cool just bring 2 poles a small tackle box and 1 bottle of water lol . That idea about the kayak club you posted before sounded cool also .
[signature]
Blessed by the Weather Gods, scorned by the Fishing Gods!

An epic trip none the less. Nothing beats getting away from the crowds and enjoying good fellowship around a campfire. What a great time on the water you all had.
BaySport
[signature]