Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who takes their DOG ice Fishing?
I used to take her fishing with me. For the 13 years she was here. She was a pest, not as bad as flyfishing, where she would swim circles around me.
She probably got hookrd a couple of times, I'm sure her barking at me or my kid to throw a snowball was heard by more than just me, she never showed any intrest in the fish at all. For her it was a long walk on a wide open snow field.

I kept my distance from others, leashed her to the shack, although ball is what she was really tied to.
She was the best dog I ever had. Havn't gotten over her enough to get another one yet. This will be my first year on the ice without her. Didn't even go to the swamp.

I'll probably not spoil the next one, get one that dosn't have so much energy and I'll be able to leave the dog home, but, probably not.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]I use my dog for pulling my gear and kids. However finding something for him to do while I fish, well he gets tied up to an ice screw until its time to go back to the truck. [/font]
[inline "Dog pulling kids.JPG"]
[signature]
When I was living in SD, my daughter & son in law had a BIG yellow lab that really became my fishing buddy. He went fishing with me a lot & he really had a ball out ice fishing. Didn't bother anybody else, just kinda poked around. I swear that guy got to know if I ever went & didn't take him. He'd give me the cold shoulder for a week afterward.
[signature]
If my mutt comes with I am mostly out there to play with her.
minimal equipment and only one line in the water so she might be able to smell a fish

By the way if you get invaded by a blue heeler mix it wasn't us [Wink]
[signature]
troll i was going to take tube dudes,take on this thread but as a current dog owner, of three of the mutts who have never ventured to the ice.im with you its your bud just set up away from people,and keep your animals controled.that is what its all about.besides the fact they are adding added nutrients back to the water system. fish on dudes me and the wood pile are headed to the berry in the morning with the sled in tow.will give all you yipers a report when we return.plan on being in marina about 7 if any one needs a tow let me know with a pm ill take you a little ways but not over the whole lake.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I do the same thing most of the time. I put some heavier stuff in the sleds I don't really need for extra weight. Tires them out more quickly. If someones dog is running around our of control and too exited it usually means they are not getting enough exercise. Make them pull heavy sleds a while or run a couple miles and they will be dead calm. [/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]What I do is make the dog run beside the car on the dirt raods for a while then just keep it in the car. That is where it belongs when there are many other anglers and kids. I never let a dog run around with kids it doesn't know. That is way too dangerous. Animals are unpredictable. I have seen a small child dragged acroos the ice because the kid's foot was caught in the leash somehow. [/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]When I take the dog out on the ice I tie it to a big old nail that I hammer into the ice. My dog likes to lay down right next to my feet. Keeps them warm.[Wink][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
I didn't mention the fertilizer, I'm glad you did.
I always picked up after, even in the parking lot. I was commended by several fishers who saw me do that.
I always picked up immedietly, same as in Liberty or Sugarhouse park.
There were times I had no more plastic bas for fish because she had unloaded more times than I expected.

So for anyone who does take their companion, bring several plastic bags to clean up after them.
[signature]
Dogs are great fishing buddys. Mine usually always goes with me. She will really be butt hurt Saturday because I have a full load going to the bash. No room for the little lady. As a matter of fact, I hope several do bring the critters. I enjoy them coming to visit and I usually have a treat for them. See you there.
[signature]
The "bashes" were about the only time she stayed home. To many people for her to bother. I'd leave her with the wife those trips and they would have a good day on the couch, huffing at each other.

I like the idea of a pulling dog. I've had them before and they can be a blast ice fishing. Pulling the kids around, loving the cold, sleeping for 2 days after.
[signature]
She has never been Ice Fishing or out on the frozen pond. So no need to start on this one with a hundred or so fisherpersons on the ice. I'll just leave her in the garage with her potty pads and newspaper on the floor. She'll be very fine. And her water will not freeze. I have someone who will come over and let her out to potty.

My truck always has a fresh supply of potty bags in it. but you can't pick up the yellow stuff now can you! She is a bit hyper at times but she will not stray very far fromn where I am. And she will not go visiting unless you are walking up to me. Then be cautious, her hackles go up big time, but she has never tried to bite anyone.

Anyway we have only ice fished once so we will be to occupied to give her the attention she deserves.

I just never left her at home overnight with out someone at home with her during the winter weather. Summer is a different story.

It was really neat to get everyones perspective about taking your pets out on the ice. The owners who do not control their animals anywhere, and let them run around and get into other peoples areas should not own pets at all. And if you ever thought it was cute that your animal ran up to someone without that persons knowledge then you are a very mistaken indivual. It is not cute and you need to keep your animal on a leash and out of other peoples area. Thats one reason I carry a .45 when I go for walks. Too many pitbulls in my neighborhood.

With that said thank you everyone for posting, it got to be quite an informative thread.
[signature]