Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maine's Striper Invasion has begun!!
[Pirate] Striper-Time,
Wll Folks, It's that time of the year again, a time that we coastal anglers look forward to, especially up here in Maine, when the Striper Migration begins making it's way up the coast from places as far away as the Chesapeake Bay, Hudson River area, and the Susquahanna, where the good old "Linesiders" have given birth to a whole new generation of Stripers. After five months of Winter up here, and a very cool and rainy Spring so far, I am looking forward to warmer weather and some time to enjoy fishing for the Indominatable Striper. Being a Kidney Dialysis Patient, my free time during the winter and when I am at Dialysis is spent watching fishing shows and reading my fishing magazines. I do other things of course, but nothing holds my attention or imagination more than the above, except maybe the Computer.
I have had time to go thru and redo my fishing tackle and rods, making repairs and replenishing tackle as needed. Everything is ready. Now if only the rain would take a hike, I could be a really happy angler!
If you live within driving distance of Maine, or are planning a fishing trip up here, come on up. We have other fisheries that are doing great, and we have some of the best Trout waters in the NorthEast. Bass fishing your style? We have got some great Small Mouth Bass Lakes, and Ponds that you can enjoy. Looking for Northern Pike, we've got them too. There's a little something for everyone, so come on Up!!!
If you are looking for info on Maine, check out some of the previous posts I have done in prior years. Most of the websites I have listed are still good sources of info, and enjoy!!!
[signature]

Hi JollyRogerTcbo1,

Sorry to hear about the health deal.

Please tell me what are the forage fish or baitfish for those linesides? Seems like different areas have different groups of baitfish. Also, What interesting nicknames do you have for fish up your way? One I know of is something like a 'blue trout' or 'blueback trout'.

Thanks, and take care!

JapanRon
[signature]
[pirate]Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply. As for the health, don't worry about it, crap happens. Sometimes you just have to play the cards life deals you and make the best out of it. How does the old saying go, " When given lemons, make lemonade"!
Anyhow, back to fishing. In rivers up here in Maine, like the Kennebec, and the Penobscot, the Saco, and the Royal River, to name a few, Stripers migrate up river, to their home waters, from the saltwater ocean to almost fresh water. What you would call brackish, or partially salty. As the make their northward migration from the Chesapeake Bay Area fishery and other mid-atlantic areas, they follow the baitfish trail, mainly shad, herring, alewives, mackeral, etc. Up here along the coast, I tend to use cut chunks of mackerel and whole mackerel, as well as shad, eels, and artificial lures, such as Top water Rapalas, Chug-Bugs, and many others, including Plastics, such as Storm's new Wild Eye Shad in the 6" size. Depending upon the time of day and the conditions, they all work. Other fish in the rivers are Small Mouth Bass, Sea Run Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Rainbows, Carp, Catfish, etc. Over the past few years, the Kennebec River has regained much of it's acclaimed heritage of a Quality fishery. It wasn't always that way. Overfishing, pollution, and just plain old garbage made a mess of it, but over the past 15 to 20 years, with strict controls, and ever tightening standards for water quality, it has begun a comeback that looks unstoppable. Even the Atlantic Sturgeon fishery in the Kennebec is coming back to life, though they are still protected. Now if only the Atlantic Salmon fishery would comeback to the days of old, it would be great! I have never heard of Blue Trout or BlueBack Trout, but alas, I am only one person, and do not take credit for being a know-it-all, only a know-what-I-know! LOL
If you are ever up this way, swing through the state and try fishing up around here. We have a lot to offer, and you may end up doing what I did. I used to vacation here from Connecticut where I used to Live. 17 years ago I decided to stay, and I am glad I did. As for fishing licenses, for salt-water you do not need one, unless of course you are fishing commercially, and for freshwater, Maine offers out of state licenses at a reasonable price.
If you need any other information, feel free to drop me a line here at BigFishTackle! Take care and tight lines, bent rods, and screaming reels!!![pirate]
[signature]

Hi JollyRogerTcbo1,

Thanks for the info. Likewise, if you find yourself in sunny California, give me a yell for the low-down on what's going on in all of the areas that I know abut but not in areas where I know nothing about. I think?! I might comment on areas that I think I know about but I just don't know.

I know, I'm silly and it's all in good jest. Besides, I'm jealous of all that good striper fishing you have up and over there!!!

JapanRon
[signature]