Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CALIFORNIA DFG RECOGNIZES 100 ANGLER TO COMPLETE HERITAGE TROUT CHALLENGE
Sacramento, California - Gavin O'Leary of Fresno is the 100th angler to complete the California Heritage Trout Challenge. The challenge requires anglers to catch six of the eleven types of trout native to California. The California Heritage Trout Challenge highlights the diversity of native trout and provides an incentive for anglers to learn about native trout and their habitats.

This special program offers a unique angling alternative. While many California anglers fish for planted trout, pursuing wild native trout offers an intriguing alternative. These native trout can be found from San Diego County to the Oregon border and offer anglers an extraordinary look at California's heritage.

"We worked to develop a program that would highlight the diversity of native trout found in California and provide an incentive for anglers to learn about native trout and their habitats," said Roger Bloom, Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Program Manager for the Heritage & Wild Trout Program.

Anglers who complete the California Heritage Trout Challenge receive a custom certificate listing the name of the angler, color illustrations of the six different trout caught and a notation on the date and location of each catch.

"The certificate I was awarded for achieving the California Heritage Trout Challenge is one my most treasured documents," said Steve Berg of Carmichael.

"The Heritage Trout Challenge was a great way to introduce my son to fishing the backcountry," said Chris Bell of Sebastopol. "He is hooked - and so am I -- on pursuing native trout throughout California and beyond."

The first 100 anglers completing the challenge came from 11 different states. There are no time restrictions and the releasing of fish is encouraged and may be required depending on the regulations for different waters.

Anglers interested in participating in the challenge can contact a DFG regional office or the Heritage & Wild Trout Program headquarters in Rancho Cordova. For information on drainages, different waters, where these fish are available and a downloadable application, please visit: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/.

Media Contact

Harry Morse, DFG Office of Communications, (916) 322-8962<br />
Roger Bloom, DFG Fisheries Branch, (916) 464-6355