Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow but good day on Yuba
We was some of the fourth or so group to get at Yuba...We headed over to a spot by the dam where there was fewer people...

When too many people get in a place it tends to put the fish down or not bite...

We got 35 perch out of four fisherman Jerry was the only one that got his ten, I only got 9 but I got the biggest at 13 1/4" the other two got the rest I'm not sure who of them got what...

We got one at 13" and 5 at 12" or more and the smallest at 10 1/2" male, out of the 35 we got 30 was female and 5 male...

I will send over some pictures to post, I think I can talk TD in to posting them for me if I say please and thank you..

Any way it was a fun day to be at Yuba...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We watched you guys trudging toward your spot. We were already out on the ice. I edited your first two pics to show where we were.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you guys found some fish, even if we all had to work harder for them. Still a nice day with no wind. That is rare on Yuba.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good report Cliff, looks like the Perch are healthy and abundant
[signature]
Was wondering if you could tell me how to tell the difference between male and female perch. Not sure i would know unless it had eggs in it
[signature]
Thanks for posting the pictures, the one of the male is cause of a post that I got that was about not seeing any males (perch)...

This is why I think most people think they don't see many males in the perch...First the females are with eggs this time of year so they look fat or fatter then the males...

And after they drop there eggs and through the summer both the males and females look the same until you cut them open... (like in the last picture) and sense the males look smaller then the females most people turn them back and keep the bigger looking females...Just my look at it...
[signature]
In the winter the eggs in the females make them look fatter...Another way is the females bottom or hole looks bigger and red, in the summer they have two holes you can see but they both look long and lean from spring till fall...

Thats how I tell them apart but I have been wrong from time to time...In winter eggs make it easier...
[signature]
Thanks for the info thats good to kow.
[signature]
Hey cliff good to hear you guys got into a few. We rode out from PR boat ramp and felt the tug from Perch Saturday..
After having a snowmoble trouble on the way in we split rather than staying the night in the camper and hitting it again Sunday. Wish I could have stayed tho' but its a long walk to the stop for this old fart.
All fish iced were between 11" and 13"
[signature]
Its nice to have a good perch fishery like Yuba, I hope they keep the ten perch limit on Yuba...
[signature]
I'm with you on that Cliff as long as the number of perch in Yuba dont build to the point they start stunting, or, their feed base declines to the point the perch starve. Then I think the limit should jump to help the larger/base population survive easier..
[signature]
The perch in Yuba can not stunt, the only thing that mite happen is the bigger perch get fished out and leave only smaller perch...Perch are slower growing then most people think..
[signature]
What leads you to believe a over population of perch in Yuba wont cause the general population to stunt? Its my belief that good fish growth depends on good feed amoung other things. But without a good feed base nothing on this plant can or will achieve its max growth. Whats more a good feed base helps fish grow faster and far more healthy. Take away that feed, or over populate the waters, and the fish begin to starve. After the larger fish died off the remaining population will remain stunted because of the lack of feed for such a large population in the waters. No feed spells dink fish..
But thats just this man's opinion..
[signature]
I get Confused reading these reports and discussions on Yuba. One day, it's all about it being a perch fishery. The next it's all about the walleye and pike.

If fishermen want the walleye and pike to come on strong, then wouldn't it be desired to have the numbers of perch as absolutely high as possible?

On the other hand, if you want to keep a high harvest limit on perch, and catch bigger perch, wouldn't you want to reduce the numbers of walleye and pike?

I just can't keep up with Yuba. The fishermen go in boom \ bust cycles faster than the fishery!!

Aren't perch bait?
[signature]
I suppose it all breaks down to what a person prioritizes.
With Yuba, as with all waters, its remains a fine balance of pred's and feed base that must be maintained. And mother nature does it best when left alone to do her job. But as long as man pokes his nose in her business it its a mess, and will remain so..
[signature]
Perch eat perch...

This is what I mean, The bigger perch will eat the smaller perch the bigger they grow the more and bigger they get and the bigger food they eat...

This is what I think has happed at Yuba in the past and other lakes...

Back in the 70's no one or very very few people fished for perch so they had time to grow and they did... Then they added Walleye to the mix and in the 80's perch caught on and many people found out...

Now you have fisherman taking the bigger perch, the ones that lay the most eggs and are to big for most walleyes to eat..

And add low water and no spawning places and the bigger perch being taken by fisherman and what is left of the small ones being eaton by the walleyes, and you have a crash...

Take out the fisherman so some of the bigger perch can last to when the water comes back up, and remove some of the walleyes and the lake will rebound faster and better....

But for this to happen the DWR and the fisherman have to work together, yes as it is now the lake will crash again with the next low water, or over harvest of bigger perch or combination of above...

Yes fisherman have and do over harvest the perch and other fish in some lakes...

If the perch was going to stunt they would when first planted and could spawn with out the walleye, we still do not have many walleye in Yuba and the perch are not stunted...

It is hard for any lake over 50 acres to stunt...
[signature]
[quote Coldfooter... its remains a fine balance of pred's and feed base that must be maintained.

And mother nature does it best when left alone to do her job. But as long as man pokes his nose in her business it its a mess, and will remain so..[/quote]

Is this true? I don't believe it completely.

the problem is that Mother Nature doesn't necessarily do things "best". What Mother Nature does is either provide the means to reproduce, or limit the means to reproduce. She doesn't let the fish know when they've reproduced too much, and she doesn't tell the fish to stop reproducing once they've reached a systems carrying capacity. In fact, She just keeps providing ways to reproduce, which then causes the system to crash.

Look at numerous Boulder Mountain lakes for an example. Left up to mother nature, numerous lakes have extremely overpopulated brook trout systems. Many lakes are way over their carrying capacity, but Mother Nature continues to allow those fish to keep reproducing, even though it is an unhealthy situation.

Left alone in Mother Natures hands, where would Yuba end up? Carp water? Stunted walleye water?

sorry -- I just don't fall into the "Mother Nature knows best" category. She can only do so much -- and sometimes She doesn't do "best". Sometimes She does "worst" much "better".
[signature]
Hmm, well thats your opinion. But mother nature did just fine for this plant before man stood up right. Man messed up this plant, not mother nature. My opinion is she knows best. If a lake needs to died off so be it, but let her choose, not you or I, or the so call pro's. I promise you she'd been doing her job just fine, and will again if man will give her the chance.
I dont care if fish stunt or not. I dont care if your favorite fishery is full of chubs or Pike. Thats not the point. The point is, man dont know best where nature is concerned. If it be so, explain why we're facing the future this plant does? But again, if the world is to die, so be it. After all, man knows best,, right??
Trust me when I tell you I'm no tree hugger. But I do believe that anything man lays hand on, or creates, is bound to fail.
[signature]
But, man has had a big hand in killing alot of things on this Planet and if we do not step in and help mother nature out no one will be left, and Mother nature may not beable to take care of it cause we done spoiled it. Got it!
[signature]
Your right Cliff, Perch do eat Perch. They also eat Sonar's, as will Carp. Not a lot of nutritional value in Sonar's,, unless your the Hooker, not the Hookie.
[signature]
If you care to take a bet,, I'll bet you if I killed off every living soul on this plant (including myself), mother nature would whip this planent back into shape with 100 years with out your help or mine..
Oh and BTW, do I care if no one is here to see it happen?? Nope.. Infact, you couldnt begin to imagine how little I care if there is not a single soul to watch it happen.
Get it??

Anyways the Perch Slaughter is going on a Yuba so gets em while their hot..
[signature]