Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa's New Sleigh
Like most ice fisherman - I drag too much stuff and my sled run-uth over. Got a snow mobile a couple years back, a gas auger, and a clam ice shack to pull behind. I just would hook the pull rope from the sled to the snow machine and head out - it did not work too bad but I what little control of the direction the sled wanted to follow - usually off to one side or the other. The real issue was unloading everything from the sled (auger, buckets, poles, fish finder, cooler, rob holders, heater, etc.).
I had been looking at the $40 to $60 hitches they make for the sleds but wasn't impressed by them. I also had been looking to add more storage my convoy and sleds were in the $50 range, cover $20 - so the other day I was in Wall-Lee World and can across the "Storage Bin" for $42. I had a pair of skis, some old pieces of metal, and I had been on-call or working since the weekend before Thanksgiving - so I decided to put on my "Jack of all Trades" hat and see if I could make something for this ice fishing season that would make life easier and just spend my time building something I could use and not spend anymore $$.

Here a couple pictures of the results.... (Kent the red paint should bring back red memories)

Beta test went great - fishing sucked but equipment got a passing grade.

The new storage bin sled fits sideways in the back of the truck and doesn't take up much room - plus it give me a place to quick deploy stuff or to pick up and move.
[signature]
[quote Lundman] (Kent the red paint should bring back red memories)
[/quote]

Hey Craig, what am I going to do when I need a touchup on my paint?[Wink] Looks like you did great. I saw a few somewhat-similar sleds out on Strawberry saturday. Some of them had the storage box raised about a foot off of the snow. Perhaps having it higher works better in deeper softer snow.
[signature]
[#008000]Could you explain how you attached the skis ? And have you had any issues with them as far as staying secure ? How does it track behind your machine ? [/#008000]
[signature]