Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float/fishing trips on the Boulder River
We have a cabin reserved near Yellowstone Park on the Clarks Fork in Wyoming next late July, but as Missouri Ozark Rivers canoeists, we are interested in a float/fishing trip on safe Class I and II waters, as we are too old to be daredevils. [blush] Are the rivers such as the Boulder, Stillwater, and Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone into Montana floatable for us? We would really like to spend a day on a 6-8 mile float trip catching fish and surrounded by beautiful scenery. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated including canoe rental places and shuttles.

Thanks,
Mark
[signature]
I might be able to help
The Clarks fork of the yellowstone is a fast scary river the closer you get to the park
more like a runoff I would not float it but might be possible. The lower part gets a lot nicer but is closer to Red Lodge and the Eastern entrance to the park there you could easily float it but do homework on where to put in and take out

Depending on the time of year the Stillwater is a possibility but its best at high water and can be a little more challenging due to boulders=you would have to have a self bailing raft no longer that 14' in my opinion.(canoe would sink same with a drift boat.)

The boulder river is too small and is a great fishing river but wading is the best bet their.

If your willing to drive a ways, because everything takes at least 2 hours anywhere in Montana I would look into the yellowstone river it is very easy to float and their is a lot of access points. Again do the homework to find them (I could tell you a few good places). Anywhere from gardiner to billings could be good fishing.

You could always find a good guide out their to help you out (there all over the rivers) or atleast send you in the right direction or help with shuttles ect.
hope this helps
Look up YELLOWSTONE TROUTFITTERS they are the only ones I can remember but were very helpful and nice located in Red Lodge MT which might be the closest town near your cabin anyways.
[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip on the outfitter. That has been my biggest problem so far as I haven't been able to locate one on the internet. Red Lodge is only about 60 miles away so that work for us.
[signature]