Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creek Company OCD420 questions
Hello all! This is my first post here but I've been reading your information for a few weeks and I've learned a lot from you wisdom.

Santa recently brought me a Creek Company ODC 420 Combo from Cabela's with tube, pump and fins for use in small farm ponds here in LA. Don't worry I have a big boat too when I go fishing with the gators and big lakes. But I wanted something small and simple to fish 1/2 to 5 acre farm ponds near where I live and decided on the Creek Company ODC 420 after much research and reading your advice and experiences. Plus I like the lifetime warranty! I have a few questions, though.

1. The pump I received from Creek Company had several "nozzles". Which one is most efficient to fill my tube outfitted with Boston valves? Seems like I am getting more air outside the tube than inside. Also do I have to hold the nozzle on the tube or does it stay? have not found a way for it "stay" yet.

2. How full is full? The instructions say fill to full but not to overfill. How do I find that balance? I want it full to float me as high out of the water as possible but I certainly do not want to test the lifetime warranty without using my tube! Help! I do not have a way to measure the psi within the tube yet though I could purchase one if y'all say I need it.

3. The tubes at the point of the "v" for this tube seem squished and not as full as at the front. Is this normal or do I need to reposition the bladder within the outer cover?

I think that is all for now. Probably silly questions but I am new to this. Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to getting to know each of you more.

Kevin
[signature]
First off, welcome to the site and glad you decided to join us.

No on to the questions. I have never had an ODC but, hopefully someone will jump in that does.
I DO have an adaptor that might be what you need, with the plastic hose on one end. If it is what you need I would be happy to send it to you as I don't need it. It is a plastic and sort of screws in.

As far as filling. For my boats I have found that deflating and then unzip the outer cover and add baby powder. Helps the tube slide inside the cover. Could get rid of those wrinkles.

I have never trusted gauges on tubes, specially Urethane, or PVC/Vinyl.

Just fill it and squeeze the end. if you are able to but a little dent you should be good.

Just remember, temperature and altitude will effect this tube so, maybe start off with it slightly deflated, then fill on the spot. In the summer it might feel full, but then put in cold water, and it might feel like it is loosing air.

Good luck with the new toy and keep reporting here.

FG
[signature]
Good luck finding a way not to have to put a little pressure on the nozzle to hold it in. Some days mine will stay in on it's own but most of the time no. I have thought about adding a little tape around the nozzle so it would be a tighter fit but just haven't got around to trying it out.

The point on the V is a little softer as there isn't much tube up there but not much. You might want to make sure the bladder isn't folded over or something up there.

How full is full? I usually fill mine until it feels hard. Then I put it in the water for a few minutes. If the water is pretty cold the air inside will cool and it will get a little soft. Just add a little more air and your good to go. If your fishing early in the morning and it gets hot you may need to let a little air out of the tube when it heats up. The more you use your tube the more you will just know how your tube reacts to water and air temp. There is no perfect tube pressure just what works good for you. If it feels a little soft to you add some air. If you get worried it's to full let a little air out. Just find what works for you.

Never travel with your tube all the way full. Altitude changes and heat inside a car will change the pressure a lot more then you think. I always let about half the air out of my tube to come home. It's never half empty by the time I get home though.

One more thing for thought. Make sure the fabric isn't in the valve when you close it. If you discover it is while on the water don't try and fix it out there. It doesn't work well. Once on the water I don't mess with them but others have.[cool]
[signature]
I have the ODC 1018 pontoon boat. What I have found for filling is to not use the adapters. The hose itself seems to hold it in place pretty well as long as you have a little slack in the tubing. As for "full" the advice so far is exactly what I do. As for the seam issue, I don't have that so I can't help much there. Hope that it all works out well for you though.
[signature]
Hi I have the tube in question. As far as the right amount of air. It is better to have it a little under inflated than just right when you hit the pond. During the course of most fishing trips the days sun will bring to max for you. I inflate until it will only depress about a 1/2 in. That has served me well the past few years with the ocd.

I also went to the hardware store and bought a foot long piece of flexable tubing to make an adapter so I did not have to hold the pump in place. Take the pump adapter with you use the largest one and buy a piece of tubing that fits over it. It will also fit over the fitting on your tube.

I also had that problem with the wrinkles. Flygodess gave ya some good advice there. It took me several trips before I got mine to "look" right. Unzip it and work it out, there is not much else you can do. Also if the tube isn't twisted inside the bag just not seating as well as you would like. It probably isnt hurting anything. But with a little work you can make it smooth as a new babys behind.

Hope this helps and good luck, good fishing, let meknow how the seat adjustment is for you on the water.
[signature]