Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nightcrawlers
i fish mainly for bass with spinnerbaits or crankbaits, but every once in a while i fish for catfish. i use chicken livers and nightcrawlers for bait. the chicken livers work great but the damn nightcrawlers keep coming off! maybe im not hooking them right. any tips on how to hook'em? also what is a good size hook for nightcrawlers?
[signature]
Are they falling off or coming apart? Some crawlers are very fragile and just break off. If you have good ones, the hook size shouldn't be an issue but a size 2 to 6 will work great. Make sure you are going past the barb(if you have one).
As for hooking them right, thread the head all the way on and then stack the worm leaving small loops if you will between pokes. I will try and find a pic and post it for you.[cool]
[signature]
This might help a little.[Wink]
http://www.rbff.org/uploads/Resources_se...k_bait.pdf
[signature]
I fished with nightcrawlers aiming for cats the summer before last. Much to my chagrin 7 out of 10 times a bluegill or bream would take it before a catfish got close. But I did land some interesting fish that made my first summer fishing far more interesting. A redear sunfish, (according to an experienced bystander), a black drum, and smaller bass. But I was happy to be catching something. Now I aim for a species of fish and love the challenge in accomplishing the task of catching that species.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif] Thank you very much for the link, I bookmarked it as I need advice also on the correct way to hook up baits. lol. Now if I could just find some sort of bait fish love and turtles hate......sigh.....Kitty
[signature]
if you hook them through the coller thell stay on..
[signature]