Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge?
[Smile] Did anyone fight the heat and the crowd at the gorge over the long weekend? We are heaed down on Friday morning for five days of fishing. Any info would be great.
[signature]
[font "Courier"][#0080ff]I was up there on Saturday and fished from about 6:30 to 4:00. Overall it was a decent day, but not spectacular. My brother bugged out on me so it was just me and my two black labs in the boat. (just wish I could teach them to back truck up for trailering [Wink]) Anyway, I started trolling the opposite side of Sheep Creek bay with a green wedding ring and small pop gear fished on lead line (4 colors) on one pole and a silver husky jerk on the other. By the time I hit the narrower part of the bay I had landed 2 kokes (both 16") and a [size 1]minuscule[/size] rainbow on the wedding ring/pop gear. Once I hit the narrows I motored up to the northern mouth of Horseshoe canyon and began drift jigging for macks over the submerged humps that are between the canyon mouth and the two small islands. The first pass I landed a decent 26" mack and had one other hit. I drifted the same area 5 more times with no more takers. I then went and landed on the larger of the two islands to give the dogs a chance to run around. I tossed a crawfish crank from the rocky shore and quickly had a nice 1.5 lb smallie and several others follow but no takers. I then made the run up to Hideout and got hammered by rain/hail so I headed back out to Sheep Creek to try for more Kokes. Didn't find any more Kokes, but managed a few small Rainbows before I decided to call it a day.[/#0080ff][/font]

[font "Courier"][#0080ff]There were a lot of boats out on the water later in the day, but not to bad considering the holiday. I'll probably head back out in a couple of weeks to try for some bigger macks and hotter smallie action.[/#0080ff][/font]