Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba 18 incher with picture
Headed to Yuba bright and early this morning (Sunday 1-18). Really foggy morning. I didn't have any idea about where I wanted to go so I ended up walking for a ways in no particular direction. Kind of hard to figure out where to go when you can't see much around you because of the fog. Various jigs resulted in a hefty limit in a few hours. I ended up catching an 18 inch bow which I didn't expect. Fished for pike while deadsticking for perch but no luck.

Ended up driving a little too fast on the way out of Yuba and skidded off the road after hitting a big patch of ice. Tried digging my way out for over an hour with no luck. Finally someone with a tow chain (won't leave home without one again) pulled me out.

Great day and I'm happy to be out of the snow.
[signature]
Great pictures. [Smile] Those are some nice fat perch. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Gotta Love That!! How is thick is the ice and how well is it holding up? Taking my little girl (4yr) there in the morning to get her first fish any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Very nice fish. That's the second trout that I know of coming out of Yuba. A rare find. That largest perch is unbelievable!
[signature]
Porky Perch!
[signature]
Talk about a piggy perch! That bow sure has had it rough with the anchor worms though.
[signature]
Ice was plenty thick where I was at, probably around 7 inches. The ice is solid and I wouldn't worry about it.

I caught all the perch except one deadsticking and the most of the bites I got where very big. I read others were getting light bites but that wasn't the case for me at all. I had one rod in a holder and I was like 15 feet away. I looked over and saw my pole get sucked in through the hole never to be seen again. I had many other bites where the tip of my rod was going through the hole. I was far away from the crowds though so that probably played into things for me.
[signature]
Nice perch,[Wink] but no picture of the dig out...[crazy][Wink][sly]

On one trip we went from the dam end to painted rock side but we got stuck and dug for 2 1/2 hr to get out...Fun Fun Fun...
[signature]
I regret not taking a picture of how far I slid. Had to be some kind of record. I was too tired from digging to take pictures.
[signature]
I know what you mean...
[signature]
K, sorry to hear you got stuck! We were on the ice today as well, and let me tell you what- in the fog you can sure walk a 'fer piece'. When it broke we were shocked to see just how far we really had come, but it was worth it, as we did catch a few.

Met Pikeman, thanks for the info, man, we ended up with 13 and lost probably that many more. The bite was really light save for a few suicidals that tried to suck a couple rods down the hole; and it turned off like a switch at about 2:30. We didn't graph a dang thing after that, it was a little wierd.

Just filled my belly with nummy fried perch!!
[signature]
Thanks for the info...
[signature]
Fishing is always an adventure. When I go I get so excited about fishing that I am not always in my right state of mind and end up with some big story about some other occurrence during the trip.

I will take the adventures with a mess of fish like yours every time. Keep bending the rod.
[signature]
Nice fish, I have never been to Yuba yet and your pics of that fat perchie make me want to go. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Those are some nice fat perch !! If anyone was going to catch trout at yuba it might as well be you with that name. [:p] As for those patches of ice on the road i learned my lesson about them years ago!! You cant control were you go on ice!!
[signature]
I Just wanted to thank all you guys (& gals) for your help. My daughter not only caught her first fish on the hard water but out fished dad 4 to 1.
[signature]
Nice Job Tom. Good to see you back on the board. Lets go fish. Give me a call
[signature]
1-19
That is an awsome pic with your little cutie.
I went out for a pm trip with 2 of my little ones ( 7 yr old Hunter and 4 yr old Carly) We got to the boat ramp at 4:30 and headed north, punched a few holes as we watched the sun slip behind the mountains. Hunter informed me that Carly would get to reel in ALL of our fish so that she could learn how.[Wink] we caught 3 in about 20 minutes. It made the whole trip worth it to see her reel those monsters in.
We saw that everyone was heading for their cars and then we saw someone walking out to us. They had left the lights on and had a dead truck battery, luckily i had some jumper cables and we got them on their way.
In all the commotion of putting my kids in my truck, grabbing snow gear and getting my truck started, I had a pole fall out on the north side of the boat ramp. If anyone is going tomorrow keep your eyes open.(ugly stick)
Kory, Thanks for the tips on were to go. Ice was 7-8 and it was 17degrees when we left.

[fishin]
[signature]