Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have moved
We have lived in the same house for over 28 1/2 years. We noticed a couple months ago that our mail no longer arrived in the early afternoon, but would arrive in the late afternoon. I just chalked it up to there being more mail for the them to deliver with the Christmas season. However, Christmas passed and the mail continued to arrive late in the afternoon. My wife noticed that we were getting far less mail than usual and that for a couple days we didn't get any mail at all -- which is highly unusual for us. She stopped in at the Bountiful post office only to find that our address had been marked as abandoned! Apparently, the post office has not been able to hire any new full-time employees for the past several months and we are one of the lucky[frown] ones to be on a route that is delivered almost every day by a different part-time employee. Probably because my son had turned in a change of address (over 6 months ago) a part-timer took this to mean that the entire family had moved. If he/she had only looked across the street from our mail box he/she would have noticed that there were cars parked in our driveway and the house was obviously lived in, and thus the address had not been abandoned! We know of many items of mail that were returned to the sender as being undeliverable and undoubtedly those senders and all of our magazine companies are waiting for us to get ahold of them and furnish them with our new address. What a disaster and of course because they are the government there isn't a thing in the world that we can do about it.
[signature]
I would think you could file a formal complaint and have something done, if it causes you great inconvenience. Such as not getting a bill, not being able to pay it (since you don't have it), and getting sent to collections. If it was just magazines and junk mail, I guess you don't have much chance to get really upset.

Still, you have a point. If there's cars in the driveway, and shoveled walkways, of course it's occupied! Duh.
[signature]
[quote Vivid-Dawn] If it was just magazines..., I guess you don't have much chance to get really upset.

Still, you have a point. If there's cars in the driveway, and shoveled walkways, of course it's occupied! Duh.[/quote]

Having any mail returned (they aren't going to return junk mail they will just chuck it in the trash) as undeliverable creates countless problems. First off you don't even know what was returned, so you don't even know who to contact. Not getting a magazine (paid subscriptions) is also a big deal, because having to contact every publisher and letting them know that you have not moved is not any fun, let alone not receiving the magazines. The person should have also noticed that we never leave mail in our box, which would happen if someone had just abandoned their mailbox.
[signature]
That Really Sucks. I hate mail problems like that.
I know that when we moved to our new house, the mail was screwed up, and a few bills didn't arrive. That almost made a negative impact on our credit report. And in today's world good credit is getting harder to get, and much easier to lose.
[signature]