Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast and furious at holmes creek
The edges are still extremely soft so bring a plank or be prepared to do the long jump. Many of the holes that have been blanketed by snow have not refrozen. I wouldn't suggest taking little kids there right now. Probably best to just avoid it altogether until we have a few more days of cold temps and if you do go take precautions such as ice picks, pfd's etc.
It's a little depressing, to have such a great time on the ice in january, then to lose the ice in JANUARY????? Go figure. I always get excited after Christmas because i know spring is coming. I"m sorry for getting so excited that it came last week.....my bad.[:/]

I still may give it a try saturday morning.

LT
[signature]
I have fished at companys pond , flung many a arrow there , chased lizards for hours on end and fished it more times than i can rememember I've swam there with a mask and a snorkel watching and studying the fish the shore and bottom . I was there when they drained it and drew a map of the complete lake bottom , the humps, the creek channels, the flats the spawning beds all of it. I remember seeing that the state record (LMG) was caught in Lake Powell and have seen with my own eyes a bass that swam in companys i chased for a few summers that i am sure would have been the state record to this Day! Yes I know companys as well or better than most anybody and I miss fishing there. I first fished at companys pond 44 years ago. I like to remember it from back then when there where only a few of us that new of its existence, and packed our trash out. It was the first place I broke through the ice while fishing. another stoty in its self. anyway anybody else have any old fishing stories about companys pond i would like to hear them. Also there was another pond north of companys about where hillfield road and the old mountain road connected but i can not for the life of me remember its name and yes i fished that many times also. Thanks for the input about this place.
[signature]
Hey HammerFamily, thanks for sharing your memories about company's pond. The archery range was gone when I discovered it, but I chased many lizard's there as well http://www.wildutah.us/h_whiptail_greatbasin.html#Photo. What a great idea to have drawn a map of all the contours and features when the lake was drawn down. I wish I would have done the same thing and taken some pictures as well but it just didn't occur to a 12 yr old to do that kind of thing. I still remember the general layout and the deepest areas though.

Is Hobbs Reservoir the other place north of Holmes that you fished at? I wasn't aware that it had fish in it. I've alway's thought that Adams Reservoir to the west of Holmes Creek and below valley view golf course would be a great warm water fishery if they stocked it with bass and bluegill. There is another pond of some size over by the Kaysville cemetery that looks like it could potentially hold fish. With as popular as community fisheries are becoming I think it would be a good Idea to look into these, and other waters as potential fisheries. What do you think? I'd like to hear others opinions about exploration and expansion of the community fisheries. Those gravel pits at the base of weber canyon would sure make some awesome perch/ walleye ponds![fishon]
It,the pond you r referring to was called Hobbs Pond,I have herard of a few guys fishing it in the early 80's,but never did myself.As far as Holmes Pond I can remember in the early 80's getting my first 26" Walleye out of there and catching really nice LMB.We would make imatation type Dragon Flies and float them on ther top for really nice Bass,But those were the Days.
[signature]
Hobbs Hollow ! That is it. Adams does have fish in it also, or used to I trapped many a muskrat along its banks and the creek that emptys into it on the east side,the one that runs through Valley View golf course. In fact i also worked at valley view for a summer. The gravel pits on the west side of the highway at the mouth of weber canyon, that are behind the dump are full of wood ducks at the right time of the year. I trapped fox in that area and racoon, mink and yes beaver on the weber river. Need to think about your thoughts on the other ponds becoming family fishing holes. will get back to you though. Thanks for your replie
[signature]