Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot day on the lake 5/28
Hi folks,

Fished from my tube at Jordanelle on a record hot day, stayed cool! It started out and continued pretty slow for some time, but I eventually found some "areas". Ended the day at 6pm after starting about 10am with 16 bass, including a 19in and a 19 1/2 in guy, and about twice that many perch and chub. I wish I could post some pictures and have some for myself but it's pretty difficult when you're alone in a tube. Used my standard small pearl curly tail on a 1/16oz jig. The bass seemed to be fairly scattered around bays with the bigger guys in deeper water, staging? Forgot to take water temp. but I'm guessing it at low 60s since it was 58 last Friday. I let Bud have some chub along with the guls.

Have patience and stay cool. They're there! That's what I seem to notice quite a bit, big bass boats roar in, thrash the water and roar out, leaving me bouncing in the waves. Needless to say I have an attitude problem with some of these guys with their 50k boats and equip.

[cool][crazy][cool][crazy]Leaky
[cool]Hey, Leaky. Glad you are finding some of the larger smallies. They are really a lot of fun from a donut...or the bank...or a boat. I feel your pain about the power squadron. They often think the price of the craft determines how much of the lake they own, and if you don't have a motor you can't be a serious fisherman.

Just do as I do. Grit your teeth and wait them out. As soon as the fish settle back down, they we can do what we do best...finesse them. The bigger those fish get, the more they come to associate the sound of motors with harrassment. Us guys in the float boats just sneak up on 'em and catch them with their mouths open.

The bass may be in prespawn, with those temperatures, but you will still find the larger fish hanging out in slightly deeper water, until it is time to come in to drop the eggs and guard the nests. After that, you might wanna try some larger plastics...especially in small perch shades. That's what those big ol bigguns will be dining on for a good part of the summer.

Glad you are doing your part to reduce the chub population. Kinda hard for one guy to do it all by himself, though, even when he has a dedicated furry companion to help.

By the way, how big are the perch running now?

TubeDude
[signature]
Hey Dude,

I kept 5 perch for dinner ranging from 9 to 10 1/2 inches which isn't bad I guess. I know there's a lot bigger in there. For some reason, this year they've been a little smaller so far. I'd say the average was about 7-8 inches. It may be that I'm just not fishing where the bigger ones are. Do they have a little different habitation/area?

Your comment about motor noise was interesting. It just so happens that I had a jet skier doing antics and tricks over my favorite spot for about 1/2 hr as I was approaching in my tube. I waited for him to leave and went there about 1/2 hr after he left and that's where I caught my big ones and several others. Go figure!

[shocked][cool]Leaky

Leaky
[signature]
Hey Leaky, It was 66 this morning in that area. The lake has risen 15ft since sat. I only got 3 today, and that was before 7am. There were islands by swim beach. Not no more. I used a white curlytail(mr twister).
[signature]