Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/31 Pelican Lake Report
We had a ball on Pelican lake this morning. We were the first ones on the ice, hit the lake around 8:00. Walked approximately 400 yards from shore and started drilling. Within an hour there were 6 or 7 groups of people within 25 yards of us. An interesting phenomina happens when you are the first one on the ice, everyone else crowds all around you. As if the rest of the lake had no tresspassing signs...weird. I actually do not mind anglers that fish near me, as long as they do not encroach.

My brother in law and I tried a bunch of different techniques. I really wanted to see what jigs or baits were most effective. My conclusion....jig presentation was the most important. We caught dozens of fish on green jigs, white tubes, worm and hook, shrimp etc. But when we quit finessing the jig, the bites stopped.

All in all we kept 5 bluegill for a Superbowl snack. Probably iced at least 60, missed at least that many more. It was a great Saturday activity. For those of you that want to hit Pelican but have reservations, make the drive and catch some fish. Everyone around us had fish on the ice.

FYI, the ice is about 18 inches. Hand augers are not recommended for the weak among us.

I'm a Realtor, I have no schedule, so let's do lunch on the ice!
[signature]
Nice report glad you had fun, that place is even better in the summer...[Wink]
[signature]