Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery for MinnKota 30 in a Raft
I was looking at batteries and they are not cheap. I don't want some huge heavy Boat anchor of a battery with lead acid to leak out, to put in my raft this spring. But I want to keep the motor running most of the day for trolling. I would like to spend $$ not $$$$

Any IDEAS????
[signature]
go to walmart and get a trolling battery
[signature]
Unfortunately you can't troll all day without a 50+lb lead acid battery. Any other technology is way to expensive for this kind of capacity.

Rafts and flooded cell deep cycle batteries don't mix well. The battery WILL tip over and leak all over the place, with the acid melting nylon life jackets and burning holes in anything cotton. The acid is rather painful if left on the skin very long too. I spent over $300 replacing stuff ruined by a $60 standard deep cycle that tipped over.

Order a group 24 sealed AGM battery (54lbs) from Cabelas (on sale right now for $144) and you will be able to troll continuously for about 5-6 hours with your motor at 50%. As an added bonus this battery has about 1/10th the self-discharge rate of a flooded cell battery and will work equally laid on its side. Also, unlike gell cells, you can use a standard 10-amp car charger to charge this guy.
[signature]
Have two new batteries never used as we don't use our Pontoons since we got our new boat make me an offer
[signature]
I also have a raft and plan on using an electric trolling motor in it this year, and I'm also on a budget. I had to do alot of studying to find out how to do it right.

Yes, you have to have a big heavy boat battery. They also must be deep cycle batteries. Wal mart has the cheapest ones I could find. I just bought the 115 amp hour one for about $70 for my Minn Kota 50 on my raft. From what I've heard that should last from a few hours to all day, depending on if I constantly troll or not. You can get smaller batteries, but they won't last as long on the water before you have to recharge them. Also, you don't ever want to discharge them under 30% charge or so. You then need to keep them charged up when not in use. Don't leave them sitting around half charged or you severely reduce the life and performance of the battery.

You will need a good charger. I got a 20 amp fully automatic charger at wal mart as well for about $60. These full-auto smart chargers have settings for all types of batteries, tell you the % charge, and will never overcharge a battery. Then you will need the manufacturer recommended circuit breaker, for about another $15 to $40 bucks or you can damage your engine.

You can use the cheaper un-sealed, lead-acid type batteries in a raft if you are smart and find a way to secure them (such as tying a rope around the battery and then to an oar lock or handle. You can buy sealed covers for batteries as well, similar to what the battery is in in your vehicle.
[signature]
How "new" are they? How many amp hours?
[signature]
Never used just sitting in garage don't need them our boat uses charging batteries not deep cycle
[signature]
Well that's good, but do you know how many amp hours they are rated for? That makes all the difference, that's like gas mileage for electric motors.
[signature]
When I get home I'll answer your E mail
[signature]
Only bad thing about it is that you have to licence your raft because it has a motor!!![frown]
[signature]