Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas tank problem !!!!
[unsure] I have a built in gas tank in my boat , and it has collected enough sediment in it , thats its starting to become a problem !. I siphoned the gas out once, but could'nt get the sediment out of the bottom, has anyone ever had this problem ? , and if so , how did you get it clean ?

THANKS, Flagmanonice ..............
[signature]
long time since I heard this one, I have seen this it in cars, in the 60's snd 70's. and see no reason why it could not happen to a tank in a boat.

the end results was that we had to first drain all the gas, then pull the gas tanks, then flush them with water and turn it upside down to let all the junk fall out the hole.

not to be a instigator, but this problem was more common then when the old tanks were still in use by your gas station. some how dirt and metal fragments would be transfered from thier tank in to yours a little at a time. and over a period of time your tank can acumilate as much as 2 or 3 cups of this crap before you start to have problems.

you should be able to pull the gas tank, I am sure they did not build the boat around the tank lol, It may be a head ache pulling it, but it is far less of head ache than having your transpo giveing you porblems during your tourny.

examine the area thuroughly there should be a way to pull the tank, posibly by pulling the back seat if the tank is in the stern, or there should be a pannel if the tank in the bow.

the tank had to go in atter the hull was formed but before the boat was furneshed. this should give you some clue as to what you will be looking for, you should be able to do this your self.

be cairfull when pulling it, check for any mountings attached to your gas port area.
[signature]
I am sure that you have already done this,

but for the benifit those reading this, some where on the line there should be a gas filter. many times this gets plugged or saturated with soft material clogging the filter.

in newer modles the filters are placed in the tank, consisting of a screen, if and when the screen goes then these fragments can run up your line in to your intake ports.

for a temporary fix a bubble can pe placed on the line below the filter to catch most of the junk that is pumped out of your tank.

but the above mention post is the proper way to fix the problem.
[signature]
[Wink] Thats just what I did before I got online, I put a in - line fuel filter on, and going to take the tank (pain in the butt ) out and replace it with a plastic tank , hopefully they make one for a sea-nymph ? Thanks alot Dave for the input, your always helpfull !!!!!!!!!!

Flagmanonice.............................................
[signature]