Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm looking at the Zebco hawgseeker
I'm looking at getting the zebco hawgseeker with 8' pole. Does anyone here have one of these? should I run the other way?

thanks
Jason
[signature]
We need to know what you will be doing with it. Robbing a bank? Towing a trailer? Trimming trees?
Seriously though, let us know what fish you are after and i'm sure someone can help. It sound like you might want to look elsewhere right off the bat to me though.
[signature]
I'm looking for something for catfish. I don't fish for them often so I want something that won't cost too much.
Or maybe to use to rob a bank occasionally too.

Jason
[signature]
I would strongly suggest getting a spinning reel that is on the large side for what you want to do. The rod is not a big deal as long as it will handle the size of fish you are looking to catch. You can't go wrong with an Ugly Stick. They are available at Walmart for around $35 and they have reels that are under $20. Being that you are not going to use it alot, a combo like that will suit you just fine.[Wink]
[signature]
Would I be able to use a baitcaster for catfish or should I stick to spinning? I have been wanting to learn baitcast. And I have a line counter that won't work on spinning. My wife got it for me and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Jason
[signature]
Yes, either will work but before you spend money on baitcasting equipment you might want to ask someone to try theirs. It is a difficult learning curve for most people to cast one. I love using one now that i can[crazy]
You will do just fine with spinning gear also.
A line counter reel is not generally designed for "casting". Having said that, i have numerous Magda 20's and 30's and i can cast them fairly well but you gotta have like 2 oz and up to get a good cast. That help at all?
[signature]
that helps quite a bit. My little line counter thing clips onto the rod before the first eye and the line goes through it. so it isn't part of the reel. But it doesn't look like it can be used on a spinning setup. It's too bad, cause I only have spinning and baitcasting looks hard.

Jason
[signature]
Ok, i thought you had a line counter reel. Why won't it work on a spinning rod?
On a side not, if you are not trolling or fishing from a boat a line counter won't do you any good except tell you how far you are casting or how much line you have to get back in when that 80# flathead strips your reel. Might be better off not knowing.[sly]
I think you will be doing yourself good to get a stout spinning combo. I looked today and found a combo at Walleyworld(big enough for most cats unless you really do have flatheads) for $49. Comes with 12# line and the whole ball-o-wax. Also, check your local pawn shops. They usually will have some heavier rod and reel combos for decent prices. Whatever you decide, let us know how it goes for ya.[cool]
[signature]
My girlfriend has the hawgseeker. Apparently it's supposed to beep when you have something on the line...the only time it ever beeped for her is when she sat in the chair that it was propped on and it fell down. I think she spent $30 on it. So if you were gonna buy the hawgseeker just because of the strike alert, I wouldn't worry about it, it doesn't really work that well. But my girlfriend has had good success with it despite the little alert not working, so if you want to try it, its really up to you. I think it comes with 20-25lb line on it.

I, on the other hand, have a berkely big game rod, which I believe I got for around $20-27 bucks, and a Shakespeare Alpha spinning reel that holds up to 20lb line, and I got it for $20. I don't know the model number right now because I keep my fishing gear at my girl's house since we fish together and she has a pond. But I'll find out for you if you want. Anyway, $50 tops, and its an extremely sturdy combo. Well worth the money laid down. It's handled everything I've thrown at it, including dragging huge tree branches all the way across the pond ( [mad] )...

I hope I helped in some way. It basically falls down to a basic combo and a basic combo that has a few bells and whistles that from my experience haven't worked well.
[signature]
Yeh, I wouldn't waste money on it myself. If you're fishing for catfish, unless it's bullheads you're after,...you'll know when you've got a bite, you don't need a beeping feature to tell you that. Catfish will let you know in several different ways, all of which include your pole leaving it's former position. Unless you're down rigging from a boat, which it won't leave but will start to look kind of Sad if you don't grab it.
If you want a descent pole for little money. Shakespeare makes one called "Tiger Spinner" it's a big old spinning reel on a nice white pole about 8 ft long and it'll cast from here to the moon and probably reel in a buick, they run around 18 dollars at wally world. Or they make one called the "Mudville Catmaster" it's a gold pimp rod and reel, for about 20 bucks, it will do just as good.
But I would go with the Shakespeare,they've been in buisness for years, and have good stuff for the price. Hope that helps.
[signature]
Thanks for the help everyone. First, the line counter thing I have would be upside down if it was on a spinning reel. that is the main reason it wouldn't work. I would just go with spinning but I would feel bad not using it. :-( I found a combo at gander mountain today. I haven't bought anything yet though. It was a 8' rod with glow tip, medium heavy, 15-20# line and had a baitcaster reel. It was $39.95. Does that one sound good at all? I messed with the Zebco ones a bit and I think those are out for now. They just don't feel too nice.

Jason
[signature]
Thats what I would go with. The Mudville Catmaster that I mentioned is actually a baitcaster, I should've said that in the previous post. When I'm shopping for reels (on poles) I always let some line out and stand on it and make sure it will at least reel in a good sized fish. Some of those big cat reels look beefy until you hook a bluegill and then they just set there and spin when you reel. This is of course with the drag adjusted when performing the test.
Some stores don't care for my "testing" and some have had things to say. But you don't buy a car without test driving it right? lol
[signature]
I'd go with that. Gotta find something you're comfortable with. Shakespeare is very good equipment, as I believe it was Indy who said. I'm also a fan of Berkely. I have a couple of their rods, and their power worms are the only thing I've caught bass on so far in my bassing career. (I do hope to change that tomorrow, though, with some strike king spinners and Rapala J-7s...I digress).

The point is, I found good sturdy combinations--all from Wally World, and they've all worked great. So find something that you feel comfortable and confident with...

Whatever you end up choosing, good luck with it and hope you get a big one!
[signature]
I tried out my new combo today. I spooled on some 8# braid that I had and made a few casts with a heavier spinnerbait. So far my casts are terrible. They go about 20' out and seem to fall straight down. I have had no problem at all with backup or anything. The line lays down perfectly. It's just my aim and distance is terrible. What am I doing wrong?

Jason
[signature]
Check your rod and reel's line lb/length capacity. If you're within both of those or relatively close to it, then stretch the line out to the point where it stops, it's probably catching on itself. Just make sure it comes out smoothly past that point. No knots in the line right there. I've had the same issue, and usually its just the line being caught on itself, and I just have to pull out the caught spot.

Just curious, how is your line rigged? I use a hook on a swivel about 12" about a 2oz. drop sinker (though I'm using 17lb, not 8lb) and the sinker really helps me get the cast out there a good way, and lets my bait float around in a small area, that way if i see my float move a good distance, I know I have a fish, its not the current. I've had good success with it.
[signature]
[quote rw02kr43]I tried out my new combo today. I spooled on some 8# braid that I had and made a few casts with a heavier spinnerbait. So far my casts are terrible. They go about 20' out and seem to fall straight down. I have had no problem at all with backup or anything. The line lays down perfectly. It's just my aim and distance is terrible. What am I doing wrong?

Jason[/quote]

Your tension is set too tight or your lure is not heavy enough for a baitcaster. Back off the spool nut a little bit or put on heavier bait. Try that and let us know what you get. Be careful not to back it off too much or you will be re-spooling your reel. Do a tiny amount at a time. You will figure it out in time.[Wink]
[signature]
[fishin]I have a combo that I bought for catfishin', it's a Zebco 733 spincast that came with 20# test. I tightline fish and also with a bobber. I haven't had any problem with it.
[signature]
[quote rw02kr43]I tried out my new combo today. I spooled on some 8# braid that I had and made a few casts with a heavier spinnerbait. So far my casts are terrible. They go about 20' out and seem to fall straight down. I have had no problem at all with backup or anything. The line lays down perfectly. It's just my aim and distance is terrible. What am I doing wrong?

Jason[/quote]

Oh, a baitcast...Whoops. Haha. I have a little experience with baitcast, not a whole lot. But REALLY pay attention to lurker's warning of not backing up too much. Those backlashes are a pain in the you know what. I find it helps me if I pa more attention to the reel than my cast hitting the water, that way if I see it start to backlash I can stop it immediately.
[signature]
"lot. But REALLY pay attention to lurker's warning of not backing up too much. Those backlashes are"
[#4040ff]I can assure you i am not a lurker.[:p][/#4040ff]
[signature]
Whoops, Freudian Slip. sorry bro.
[signature]