Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MONSOONS ALREADY?
[cool]I hit Saguaro Lake this morning (Saturday), after having major blows and duststorms the last two days. It seems that the wind blew my concentration of fishies out of Butcher Jones Cove, at least. Tube Babe and I had been having 100 fish sessions up until the winds. This morning...TubeBabe about 20 yellow bass. Myself, 1 largie (14") and about 50 yellow bass. Kept a dozen or so for tomorrow's dinner.

Water temps are up to over 80, daytime. The surface was 79.5 at launch (6 AM) and 82 when we got off the water at 11 AM. Clarity looked like it had been affected by the wind too. Kindy murky compared to a week ago.

Nobody from the bank or boats seemed to be getting anything. We used our assortment of little jigs and Roadrunners. The fish were a lot more tentative than they have been. Really had to finesse them. And, for the first time in the last ten trips...at least...neither of us caught any catfish. My guess was that they are in the middle of the spawn. The two we kept last week were both full of ripe eggs.

As the water temps climb, along with daytime boating traffic, the productivity of night fishing will increase. Most of the largies sulk in deeper water during the day and hit best after it quiets down and cools off.

High country troutin' is probably the best bet for awhile, but watch for the closures due to fire danger. And be careful when you are going anywhere. It's dry everywhere and it doesn't take much to get a fire started. Don't become a news item.

Looks like I am probably going to be headed for some inshore fishing on the Sea of Cortez in a couple of weeks. I figure if I am going to be hot, I might as well be catching fish too. At least I don't have to fight the power squadron in my float tube down there.

Also thinking about heading down to Parker Canyon this summer. Anyone had any reports on what's going on down there?

TubeDude
[signature]