Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Auger Question
So with all of the problems I've been having with my Eskimo hand auger (tough cutting), I've decided to invest into a lightly used power auger. I've heard that several of these augers will leak oil out of the muffler but if you switch to Amsoil (100:1), the leaking problem goes away. I have always been a bit leary about synthetic oils......do any of you have any experience with this? If so, good or bad?

Chad Miller
[signature]
I have an Eskimo auger and have never experienced that. I use 2 stroke oil from Walmart mixed 50:1.
[signature]
my brother-in-laws new auger mixes 24:1
[signature]
If you've got oil leaking from the muffler the carb is set too rich, the oil / gas mix is too heavy on oil or both. That oil leaking sure won't hurt it. It does tell you you aint gonna screw up your engine for lack of oil.
[signature]
I use Amsoil 10w30 synthetic in my cars for years awesome Oil a bit pricey but well worth it.
[signature]
CHAD I also have one of those Eskimo hand augers and it SUCKS too. I wonder if there is a defect of some sort it seems like the angle of the blades is too flat or something. My blades are still very sharp. I want to sink it through my hole that I just made after it takes me 6 or 7 minutes with a break in between and by then the elbow and shoulder feel like mush. I dont use it any more. If anybody knows a solution I would appreciate the info.
[signature]
I have a strikemaster electric and wouldn't trade it for the world. They're lighter, quieter, never leak, never have trouble starting it, and I can drill about 50 holes on one charge. I know 50 holes may not sound like much, but an average gas auger can only drill about 45 before you have to fill it with gas again.
[signature]
Hey FOD......this is the second one I have tried this year and both of them just take way too long to cut. I agree that I think the pitch of the blades is off....it seems too steep and tries to take too much ice causeing it to bind up in the hole a lot....not to mention almost tearing my arms off.....and I am in good shape. My buddy has a Strikemaster hand auger and he just laughs at me....he cuts right through the ice. Like I said, I am going to keep it as a backup but it's time to invest in a power auger. I'm looking at the Strikemaster Lazer Mag.

Chad Miller
[signature]
Yea, I use my buddies and if I am alone I go to deer creek and find plenty of open holes out by the island no need to drill my energy away. A power auger is almost the only way to go if you have thick ice. I will be lookin at those next year. This year I need to get one of those underwater video cameras I would use it all year long!!!!!
[signature]
I have the eskimo stingray... it doesn't leak. It is a bit slower than the bigger eskimos but still requires almost no effort. It eats through ice no worries and i have cut many holes in 3ft no issue. It is pretty light and can be carried easily.... they are fairly cheap, even new.

I recommend it highly
[signature]
Personally, I dont mind running my 2 cycles a little rich on oil as long as they dont oil foul the plug/s. I'd rather run em rich than risk siezing up.
For instance, my Lacer Mag calles for 24 to 1 but I like to run it around 20 to 1.
My OLD trolling engine (given to me by my wifes g-pa) calls for 36 to 1. But being its a 1940's model I run it around 30 to 1. Smokes a little more than newer but what ta hell, its a 40's model and runs like a clock, lol..
[signature]
there like anything else and each auger is different, leaking just gives it character and all leak in different spots, different drip rates and such. every auger ive been around has its little trick to get her fired right up. if it leaks a little who cares, it just helps you identify yours out on the ice if your with a group of people with same auger
[signature]
i just got the ice gator seeker model electric ice auger last month. it cost me 400 dollers but worth every penney.i drilled 150 holes efortlesly and still had plenty of charge.it comes as just the top moter you have to attach your bottom part of your hand auger to it.i attached my 6 inch laser to it. i love it no mixed gas no gas smell no hard starts just push the buton and watch the auger turn it drills more holes on one charge then im capable of dril;ing in one day .also has special adapter to charge it from your atv or car cigarate lighter.
[signature]
I run Amsoil 100:1 in all my small two strokes including my Strikemaster Ice Auger. No leakage from the muffler or engine meltdown. Plug always look perfect! This had been my 6th year using it in the auger. Used for over 10 in blowers, weed wackers & chain saws.

I am not affiliated with Amsoil nor do I sale their products.

Rick
[signature]
Hey Chad, I have an old jiffy that I bought new 15 years ago. when you prime the carb before starting it will carry alittle over so you get a drip out the exaust or when it is laying on it side, when you pick it up and start it you might see a drip then too. I just make sure I do not drill my hole where the gas was if you know what I meen. Get an auger that has a center point and one chiper style blade. I have never seen them not cut and if you need to you can sharpen that style with a good file because it only has one straight angle all in a line so it is real simple to make it like a razor over and over. I switched to amsoil 100:1 four years ago. It doesn`t do anything for the drips but it makes your auger run so good you won`t believe it. I think if you tried I bet you could get 10 years out of your plug with no smoke. If you want your auger to start first pull, give it a try. You need to find a dealer. You can get a 100:1 packet that mixes one gallon for 85 cents. You know how long a gallon last so it is not expensive. I personally mix it with 8/10ths of a gallon to make it just a little richer but you don`t have to. I put amsoil in my boat and wheeler and my maintenance cost went down in everthing. If you are alittle leary, get on there web site and read the guarantee that comes with using amsoil. Good luck, see ya on the water.

Fish On.
[signature]
I have a mora 6" auger that works beautifully. It worked great for about 3 years then I noticed it acting similar to yours...new blades just wouldn't cut like they used to. It felt like you'd just be spinning it and not grabbing anything.
Here's a possible solution. Mine works better than brand new. Get some super thin steel shims...drop by a local machinist with your auger and he could have you some in a couple minutes for a few bucks( I think I paid him 10). Start with one shim on the top side of the blade and add more until you're cutting like crazy! I can't remember the thickness of my shims anymore but i know they're super thin and it took me 2 on each side to get it blazin' through the ice. Maybe you're more creative than me and can think of something that would work without going to a machinist...but it's probably worth it. Somebody told me once that they make shims for augers but i've yet to see any. If you try it I hope it works for you too!
[signature]