Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galapagos Feb 09 report
From our good friend Capt. Braden Escobar in San Cristobal, Galapagos comes this report:

"As February moves on conditions here in Galapagos have been pretty much stable. Hot days in the 90`s, partly cloudy days and very calm sea conditions have provide us with wonderful fishing. If you want to experience the world’s best marlin fishing then don’t wait to book as space is limited!

Feb 5, 2009 – This was my first time fishing with Tom Wheaton from Virginia. It was Tom’s third time in the Galapagos. His friend Ralph Goins was experiencing his first time in Galapagos as well as going after billfish. It was a sunny and beautiful day in Galapagos as we headed out aboard the Blue. Navigating 36 mile to Rosa Blanca’s largest bank. As soon as we arrived birds were working and marlin could be seen slashing on the surface. Sea lions and dolphins were all part of the show. Ralph baited, hooked and caught his first striped marlin ever on this very day! Each angler would catch and release 4 stripes out of 10 bites. Keep in mind very hot water on the surface makes stripeys lazy eaters. In total 17 stripes were raised. Not bad for their first day.
The Sea Hands, captained by local William Buenaño and trolling lures as opposed to baits released 7 stripes out of 15 bites and raised 20 fish. They fished the Rosa Blanca banks as well.

Feb 6, 2009- We set out aboard the Blue with Tom & Ralph. It was a choppy morning but turned out to be almost flat calm by 10 AM. The water again was very hot on the surface and the monitor was marking large balls of bait down 300 feet which would seldom come up on this day. Nevertheless we managed to raise 12 striped marlin, 10 bites and release 5 fish.

The Johanamar, captained by local Edwin Buenaño raised 14 fish, had 9 bites and released 4 stripes on lures fishing the same area.

Feb 7, 2009- Our third day of fishing with Ralph and Tom had us back on Rosa Blanca banks. There were lots of animals such as sea lions, whales and dolphins on the bank. Birds were diving and balls of bait were on the monitor. Surface water temperature was quite hot and again the fish very lazy feeders. The Blue raised 16 stripes, had 6 bites on baits and released 3 fish.
The Johanamar, captained by local Edwin Buenaño raised 15, had 9 bites and released 3 stripes.

Feb 8, 2009- On our 4rth day aboard the Blue we decide to try our luck on the banks West of San Cristobal. These were the same banks made famous while I used to fish aboard my old boat the Striper. It is one of my favourite banks as well as Captain Alan Star`s who also fished it for years alongside on another boat. As we arrived on the bank we found lots of bait, flying fish and mostly tuna. We did not raise a billfish that we could be sure of to count as a raise. A few tuna bites as well as a nice 30 lb big eye caught by Ralph would make for an excellent dinner.

The Johanamar, had similar luck except they managed to raise and catch a blue marlin estimated around 300lb.

Feb 9, 2009- Onboard the Blue we decide to head back to Rosa Blanca and boy we sure were glad we did. Shortly after we arrived a striped marlin came up to say hi. It did not take long for the rest of the fish to start showing. Birds, dolphins and sea lions were feeding on balls of sardines. The fishing remained strong all day in a radius of maybe half a mile. The surface water was very hot causing the fish to be deprived of the oxygen needed to be more voracious. Nevertheless it was a day that many only dream of. One day past the full moon and the fishing came alive. Tom and Ralph felt the frustration of what makes striped marlin fishing one of the most challenging. They are some of the hardest billfish to hook. Tom and Ralph did everything just about right but the fish would not help hook themselves. We raised 66 striped marlin, experienced 36 lazy bites and managed top release 6. I admit that a batch of bad wind on leader and old mate assembled for me caused us to loose another 4 fish we probably would have caught. Nevertheless the fish were difficult.

The Johanamar and its captain Edwin managed to raise over 50 stripes, have 37 bites on plugs and release 11 stripes.

Folks I cannot stress enough that you are probably not going to find more reliable striped marlin fishing on the planet without having to live aboard a mothership. Contact us now as there is still limited availability."

Tom and Ralph are South Fishing clients.
[signature]