Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capt. Ron Hamlin, Guatemala report
01/27/09 - Capt. Ron Hamlin - Casa Vieja Lodge - Guatemala Report

"First Week Back!

First I want to say it's good to be back on the water. This has been my first 7 days of fishing since moving over to Casa Vieja Lodge. Boy was I out of shape not having fished in 6 months.

Jim Turner owner of Casa Vieja broke me in on the first day running the "Finest Kind" a 40 Whiticar. Kind of a thrill growing up just a ways down the road from Whiticars Boat Works. Also knowing Jack Whiticar the King of Stuart, and his lovely wife Alice who many of you know as the Lady who ran the Stuart Sailfish Tournment.

Back to day one we were fly fishing and I had my problems finding neutral a couple of times. But we did good for all my nervesness raising 26 getting 8 bites and releaseing 4. You know how it is first day new boat and fishing the new boss - tough day.

16-18 Jan: we had a group of Jake Jordans friends from No. C. The first and last day I had 4 ladys all single, we had a great time raising 62 and releasing 36. The middle day we had a husband and wife team we saw 28 that day caught 2 out of 3 on fly and 10 for 15 on the one bait we had out.

My last 3 days the 24-26th. Bill Fintel brought down 3 of his friends that are professional bird watchers, they saw all kinds of birds and told me what kind they were I might add I didn't know much about birds. We also had some great fishing raising 50 Sails 2 Blacks and 1 Blue. We released 30 sails 2 blacks but missed the slam when the Blue bit thru the leader, the first day and never had a shot at the blue the last day although there were about 6 blues caught that day. I did wind up with a stiff neck as when they yelled I had to look in all directions as well as up.

Folks I hope my change to Casa Vieja didn't confuse or mess up your plans on fishing with me, if it did I apoligize. Contact Herb Rosell at South Fishing - I still have time open the rest of the season.

Capt. Ron Hamlin"
Casa Vieja Lodge
Pto. San Jose, Guatemala

----------------------------------------------------------
"Mornin’ folks,

We just held the No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout over last weekend (29 Jan-02 Feb)

The 28th and 29th we fished Jim Turner, owner of Casa Vieja Lodge, for a little warm up. Jim raised 56 had 52 bites and released 41 - Good angling Jim!!

The 30th. 31st. and 1st. was the Tournament. I had a great group of guys from Texas for the 3 days we raised 69. Of those 66 bit and we released 36. This is a great tournament for the local schools. Every angler put $20 in the pot when they missed a fish, which down here is called a Sancocho. For the 11 boats we donated over $5,000 for school supplies for the children. A tip of my hat to all the anglers who come here not only to fish, but to help the children of Guatemala. With 36 releases we finished mid-way in the pack.

If you want to fish with me please contact South Fishing or Casa Vieja Lodge.

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Capt. Ron Hamlin"
Aboard the Finest Kind
[signature]
It's been brought to my attention that my name is still being used by the people I use to work for. My name is still on there Web site as being with them not true!!!!!. I was fired by them after giving 2 months notice - I work for Casa Vieja Lodge and run the Finest Kind. I 'am no longer running the Captain Hook. So if you want to fish with me Please contact South Fishing. I don't believe in false advertizement, but I guess everybody doesn't feel that way. I want to do my best so that all the anglers who want to fish with me knows where I am. Please pass the word to all your fishing friends.

Good Fishing,

Ron

Note: When I checked the webpage this afternoon the advertisement was still there in the video section. They've had two months to remove it.

2nd Note: 06 March - it's still up there. There's no excuse for this - misdirection.
[signature]
Marlin U is bringing their program over to Casa Vieja.

Now Ron's report for February:

[font "Tahoma"]Cold Dirty Water
Well I don't like to write a report like this, but you have days like this, at least that's what Mom told me.[/font]

[font "Tahoma"][/font]
[font "Tahoma"]18 / 19th - I was Blue Marlin fishing there's been as many blues as sails lately. I raised 2 one didn't bite and we jumped off the other after getting some great jumps out of it, we also raised 3 sails on the lures.[/font]
[font "Tahoma"][/font]
[font "Tahoma"][/font]
[font "Tahoma"]20th/ 26th - The first day we had a group of Missionaries, here giving there time to the orphanages in Guatemala City and Antigua. The stories they told me were heart wrenching, but I'll save that for a special report when I have all the facts correct. Anyway we fished 5 miles out in the only good water and raised 10 getting 8 bites and releasing 5.
[font "Tahoma"][/font]
[font "Tahoma"]The next 6 days was more of the same for me. Raising 37 getting 28 bites and releasing 15. I again fished close to shore rarely going over 10 miles out. Some of our other boats did better later in the week running a long way and finding better fishing as the good water got closer. There were a lot of Blues in close at least 15 or more were caught in there but by the other boats, I had a cold hand.[/font]
[font "Tahoma"][/font]
[font "Tahoma"]I did go to the Miami Boat Show, my mates and I received the Top Tagging Boat Overall for Billfish and also Top Sailfish Tagger. My crew and I have won these awards a few times and I felt it was time to step down and hope the younger Captains would take over tagging more and get the Honor of receiving this Award from The Billfish Foundation. I still intend to tag for the Anglers that care to, but just not participate for the awards.[/font]
[font "Tahoma"][/font]
[font "Tahoma"]Good Luck and Good Fishing you can still book me in March thru South Fishing. [/font]
[font "Tahoma"][/font]
[font "Tahoma"]Capt. Ron on the “Finest Kind”[/font][font "Tahoma"][/font] [/font]
"March 24-26th:
Fished my good friend Jake Jordan and some friends
We raised a good amount but they didn't want to tease. This happens when there's to much bait, but the good news is after the bait shows up here come the sails. In the 3 days we raised 45 had 15 bites, releasing 8

March 27-30th:
Like I said about the bait first and then comes the fish. We raised 80, with the Sody party, but they were biting funny again. I blame that on to much food. We had 71 bites and released 39. I expect the bite to get better and better, so if you can get away in April I still have some time open. You can get some days by going thru South Fishing.

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Capt. Ron Hamlin
Finest Kind"