Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paddle Pushers! What the.......?

Hi TubeDude,

Wanna flip your way the direction you're facin' on your tube? With the paddle pushers your dream will come true! Sheeh!

I saw this poduct in the 2003 master catalogue of BPS, page 127. How about a product review on this one TubeDude. ha ha ha LOL! or what?

I wonder if they have a demo video we can see?

Signed, very skeptical.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]I hope nobody takes these things seriously and goes out and buys a pair. These were first promoted by the old FishMaster company, of Oklahoma...manufacturers of the old grey, plastic-coated fabric float tube covers that were some of the first on the market. In fact, other than a hard molded plastic donut, a FishMaster was the first commercially made tube I owned. Here's pics of both the early FishMaster tube, and of the paddle pushers from Bass Pro Shops.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0337398.jpg]

[url "http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=15324&hvarDept=175&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=5&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse"][Image: 64300e-t.jpg][/url]

These things were developed by an old farm pond bass fisherman in Oklahoma, who had no concept of fishing big reservoirs or the ocean. On the small shallow ponds he fished, you were as likely to need to wade as to float. These hinged contraptions strapped to your heels and pointed backward while you walked forward...or kicked forward, when afloat. Then, on the back kick, the "wings" would swing out, catch the water and push backward...propelling the tuber forward...barely.

I think I still own a pair I bought to test. I have had them out on several garage sales...only to get a lot of laughs...even from people who had no idea what they were. Maybe someday I can get some good news on the Antique Roadshow.

Here's the skinny. They are useless in any type of craft except a round tube with a crotch strap, to keep you from pulling yourself forward and out of your craft. In a round float tube, they aren't much better than just kicking with your bare feet. They really provide little thrust, compared to a set of good diving fins. And, by trying to propel yourself forward, leaning forward against the crotch strap in your tube, you can end up with a severe case of crotch cramps...while going nowhere.

I once watched a fishing program, with one of the so-called experts showing how to float tube. I about died laughing as first they were launching tubes only about half aired up. The covers were still all wrinkled and the tubes just about folded up around them. The second hoot was listening to the host prattle on about how much better and more effective the little green paddle pushers were...compared to fins. The two guys in the half hour show just about killed themselves moving a short distance away from the bank to fish and then back to end the show. If a wind had come up, that show would have still been running, while those guys tried to get back to shore.

Like a lot of things, those ducky waddles were developed by someone who preceived a need and filled it. However, very few other people share the originator's enthusiasm for their effectiveness.

Wanna buy a used pair (once) cheap?

TubeDude
[signature]
hey i think i can recongnize those rocks anywhere. is it where im thinking it was? other than those are huge gills and didnt know they were that size in willard if thats where it is.
[signature]
[cool]B-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z. Wrong answer, but thanks for playing. Actually, that was a pic taken in the late 70's on Pelican...where I got my first lesson on "swimmers' itch". Note those old Voit fins. They were heavy rubber and weighed about 5 pounds apiece. Talk about a workout.

TubeDude
[signature]
shucky darn if those dont look like the weed moss ridden rocks of willard. thats why the gills dont match the body of water eh? haha
[signature]
what is swimmer's itch???

joe
[signature]
[cool]Some freshwater ponds that tend to get stagnant can develop a little parasite that burrows into the top layer of human skin and creates a severe itching sensation. In Pelican Lake, the savvy fishermen know that you don't go wading or tubing without a pair of waders. If you do, you will only do it once. The itching doesn't really start until you have been out of the water for awhile...like trying to get some sleep. It doesn't last as long as something like poison oak or poison ivy, but it is enough to drive you crazy.

Hey, Joe, did you ever get your new reel?

TubeDude
[signature]
yes i did buy that millionare, but am returning it to get a small little shimano lowprofile reel. 2 ball bearings isn't enough for me..

joe
[signature]
It turns out that it wasnt a shimano at all.... it is a daiwa procaster-x 103HA. very smooth. I love it. hey chris, why arent you logged on
[url "http://store1.yimg.com/I/tackle_1732_25152906"][Image: tackle_1732_25169378][/url]
[signature]