Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rods
What would you say is the most used size rod? And what rod do you think will suit most applications?
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I'll go with a 5/6 wt.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
MOST....a 9' 5 weight. I know it was the most popular size at Orvis.
[signature]
How often do you think you would go with an 8weight? It seems like the smallie guys use them quite a bit.
[signature]
I own three LOL Personally, I am trout all the way and have thrown in Bass, but with TROUT gear.

I understand the BASS situation all the way. I am on several forum with fishers from Texas. They will swear by the heavier rods, infact, allot of the big name rod companies are coming up with special BASS rods and tapers.
The rods are all under 8'. Sages answer is 7'11".
[signature]
those sound like good rod lenghts to use on a tube.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Seems to me, Tailgrabber, that you're asking two different questions.

First, the most common rod size, and then, a good smallmouth size.

As to the most common, it used to be #6, because that's what all the writers touted as a general purpose rod. Of late, however, it's more likely a #5. Personally, I still recommend the #6 for a one-rod angler. My size recommendation is something in the 8 foot range.

As to smallies, a lot depends on the fishing conditions and average size of the fish. An 8 weight is great if you're fishing large lakes and impoundments, where the fish run larger and conditions can be tough. For most stream fishing, on the other hand, you are overgunned with a #8.

For stream smallies, choose the same rod you would for trout in those waters. Which usually mans a #6 or lighter.

One thing to keep in mind, when choosing a rod, is the kind of flies you'll be casting. I suspect the guys using 8 weights for smallmouth are doing so because they're throwing a lot of hair bugs and similar air-resistent flies, and need the rod strength to carry them.

It's the same reason we use #10 weights for musky. Don't need them to subdue a water wolf. But do need them to toss those big, air resistent flies.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
I guess location is the big difference also.
As I said HERE the 9' 5 weight is the MOST popular for trout. This means rivers and SOME stillwater. There is some popular stillwaters I would not even consider a 5, but as Brook said a 6.
The bass fishing is subjected to wind, big bugs, and vegetation, so the preferred (again HERE) is 8' or shorter 8 weights.
A 6 weight would get the job done, but if it is a specialty rod MADE for bass, I don't think it would be a great TROUT rod.
[signature]
I hear ya with all the different variables. My trout rod is a #3/4 that is 7'4". Works great for the tight creeks I have to fish for trout. I have used it on the big river for smalies but was only able to throw small flies comfortably, if I wanted any distance on the cast. Tried throwing a Clouser but didn't work so good, plus I was scared I would snap the rod on a bad back cast.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there tailgrabber - interestingly enough I was watching an episode of Fly Fishing America yesterday and the host was FF for BMB in a Texas lake. He didn't mention the wt of his rod, but he did refer to the wt of the tippet they were using - like 15lb test. The average size of their catch was 5 lbs. He mentioned that the lake's record was 18 lb+. Oh my! [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: scaredworried.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I can only speak for freshwater as my saltwater experiance is real limited.

If you can only have one fly rod or are just strting out, a 9' 5wt is a real good choice, especially if you are a trout guy. You can fish streams, rivers, ponds & lakes and be happy as a clam with this one rod. Works good from bank, boat or tube.

Yep, I would get a 9' 5wt and then spend your money on spare spools, lines, braided leaders & etc for the 5wt before moving on to something else.

If you are a largemouth bass guy will want something heavier to haul them out of the weeds & sticks. I like an 8wt for fishing the around weeds.

The 5wt works fine for smallmouth and you are seldom fishing for them in the weeds.

Do the 9' 5wt first, do it right, then move on. Just my opinion......
[signature]