Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander and blackfoot reservoirs?
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is in these reservoirs. I have heard there are catfish and perch in alexander. I heard rumor that there are bass. Is it possible to catch catfish through the ice? I also have heard there are perch in blackfoot but have not got any confirmation. I know there are cutts. How is the ice fishing on these reservoirs.
Thanks in advance for any info.
[signature]
[Smile] Hi oregonguy. I live due west of the Blackfoot reservoir about 25 miles or so. The Blackfoot reservoir has Yellowstone cutthroats (native fish) and some rainbows, carp and yellow perch. Not much is heard about the perch but they are there according to Idaho Department of Fish and Game. Blackfoot reservoir is locally famous for the big trout it grows. During the 60's and 70's it had become nationally famous for the big rainbows and cutthroats it produced. However, today it suffers from water drawdown due to irrigation demand and predation upon the wild cutts by pelicans and cormorants as they move up the Blackfoot river in the spring to spawn. Ice fishing in the winter requires a snow machine to get into the lake as the roads are not plowed and the reservoir is located in a sparsley populated area near a mountain range. Summer access is either from the west end across miles of graveled road through cattle grazing country, or from the southeast end over paved roads a few dozen miles north of the town of Soda Springs, Idaho. The reservoir still produces some rainbows in the 8 to 10 lb range but nothing like it did in the heydays of old. The water is clear and the reservoir is quite large and expansive, a few thousand acres I believe. Overnight camping is available for those in campers but little shade if any and bathrooms should be available.

Alexander reservoir is a mostly shallow reservoir 4 to 25 feet in many areas except near the dam where it falls to around 50 feet or more. It is due west and south of the town of Soda Springs, Idaho (about 5 miles). The water
is a light dirty brown color from muddy silt. The reservoir is loaded with perch that average between 6 and 7 inches with some up to 10 to 12 inches. Channel cats are planted in there by the thousands in the four to six inch range. It is the premier cat fishery in eastern Idaho but not famous as a large volumn cat fishery. Cats caught average 10 to 14" with a few in the 20" range and occasionally an 8 to 14 pounder that causes some local excitement when it occurs. The smallmouth bass fishery is just beginning to take off there and the fish are averaging about 8 to 10" with an occasional one over 12" (legal size). There is suppose to be a few crappie in the res and an occasional rainbow too. The reservoir is moderaterately sized at over a thousand acres plus. It has three or four access points with at least two launch ramps for boats but no overnight camping, day use only.
Has bathrooms at two access pints and parks and tables at two of the access points. [Smile]

DeeCee

I ice fish not because I like the cold but because it is the only time I can impress my wife, by walking on water. [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks very much for the info. It is much appreciated. I might just have to head over that way and do a little ice fishing. It is only an hour to hour and a half drive for me. I would love to catch some smallmouth they are great fighters for the size. Never ice fished for them though.
[signature]
great stuff dee very helpful once again
[signature]
Hey oregonguy, thought I better clarify some things. Catching catfish through the ice is quite rare, at least in these parts. Alexander is good for perch in the winter but not for much else this time of year. The smallmouths are unusual through the ice also. Most of what I listed on my previous report was for summer fishing such as my comment: " the smallmouth bass are just starting to come on now." Didn't want to be misleading or anything and cause a wasted trip over this way.

DeeCee
[signature]
That's good to hear that the smallmouth are taking hold in Alexander. I'd have to say they're my all around favorite fish. I can't wait for summer to finally get here.
[signature]
Hey DC thanks for the info...I didn't know that about Blackfoot .
[signature]
Yeh, I think they finally found a winner in planting smallmouth bass in Alexander. Before then the perch pretty much stole the limelight while the catfish played second fiddle. I believe in several more years Alexander will be a hot smallmouth fishery.

DeeCee [Smile]
[signature]
X2FSH, you are welcome and I'm glad to be of service. Have a good one.[Smile] Fish on!

DeeCee
[signature]
Hopefully the smallmouth will eat some of the smaller perch and keep the population in check so we get larger perch. It would be a win/win situation.
[signature]
Hope so too, Win-win is right. [Smile]

DeeCee
[signature]