Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter cook out
We had a winter cook-out over at the property yesterday , dogs and burgers and beans cooked on all the branches that fell off the trees during the winter . A whole lot of the birch trees were snapped in two , musta been from those 50 mph winds we had last week . I missed the grove when going onto the property and slid the pick-up into the ditch , buired that sucker up to the frame in no time flat and had her towed out , how embarasing ! Had the niece and her new husband out back with my guns doing some shooting practice , he's leaving for iraq in a couple months , she's waiting on her orders to go . My little brother is now over there , three more of my nephews have signed up and are awaiting boot camp . The turkeys came threw the yard long enough for a photo shoot during the cook out , the deer stayed off in the woods so there wern't any close up photos of them to take . We did have a fox pouncing a feild mouse early in the afternoon down by the trails , that was fun to watch . Anyway , we sure had a great time this weekend .
[signature]
you got me beat, I went though the lake in my quad last week.

granted the ice was about 6 inches, and the lake was only a foot where I was driving, so no one but me knew about it...

I just havent trusted the ice this year, even with all the cold we had, we should have had thicker ice.... at least on my lake.....

hope the ride didnt take on too much damage...

Must be rough gettin old when you cant tell one snow covered fallen tree from from the next [:p]... "Teasin, cuz its official, I am old now"
[signature]
So , howed you end up getting it out of there ?
Those things aren't all that light .
I have a bad enough time raising the riding lawnmower to change a belt .
[signature]
I just continued driving, I may not have been clear on my discription of the fall though.

from the top of the ice to the bottom of the lake was only 12 inches, "a foot" most of the 99% of the area had 6 inches,

so when I went though the noby tires just kept breaking ice and chewing it up till I hit solid ice and I drove back on top.

I chose the area because I knew it was only a foot deap with a hard bottom and worse case cinario I could use my wench to pull me out.

I had actualy not expected to see the ice that soft. I think there is a new spring developing there.

I watched michigan out of doors tonight and to my surprize, both host were out on that floating ice sheet. How ever, thay went out on an air boat similar to what they use in the glades.

On the show a helicopter came by and dropped a come and rescue note. So they had to pack up and go in so the guide could go rescue the other guys who were stranded.

On their way out, a guy chased after the on a quad, he wanted to get rescued too....

aside from the wind and rescueing, they were catching walleyes, and some nice ones too, 13-25 inchers.

with this cold snap, I may get out sunday maybe, maybe even today... all I have is a few wigglers left and pickled minnow left, I am not going to buy any more bait.

60 dollars in bait, 299 for a new strike master 2000. Ya, all on the "CC" {trying to do my share in getting the economy going}

I do have to admit, I do like the new power auger, dozens of holes in the time it takes me to cut one with the LD-8 strike master. Dont get me wrong, I would never nock that hand auger, I highly recomend it as the top choice. but my nephew didnt have an auger, so now he dose. I used it for about 3 years, put new blades on it at the end of last year, and it still looked like new.

he came out fishing with me one day, I pulled it out, drilled a couple holes, then handed it to him to drill a couple. He had never used one, this boy is built like a brick out house and started to crank on it. I had to tell him to hold his horses and make smoothe concistant stokes and keep the top centered and let the drill cut the hole, dont force the auger in to the ice. I told him those were brand new blades on it and the cost $35.oo to replace.

He didnt like it that I was instructing him on how to use it. But he's not 10 any more so he was more willing to take instruction.

after he cut the hole, I handed him the cap and said keep the cap on it when ever it is not in use and dont bang it on the ice to break ice off the blade if it freezes up on it because if you bend the tines all the new blades in the world will ever make it cut holes again. and if you take care of it, it will last you a life time... bouy was he suprized.
[signature]