Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What tube to get????
I already have a pontoon by classic accessories and now i wanna get a tube so i can take it whenever i go to the beach and on long trips where i dont always have the room to take my pontoon with me.

I have decided on 2 tubes. The Togiak and the Kennebec, both by classic accessories or trout unlimited depending on where you shop. I was just wondering which one would be the better overall performer for launching off the surf. i will also be using this on lakes and rivers but they both seem like they would be good for that. The only real difference i see is the way the pontoons are setup on the craft. The togiak is shaped like a V-tube and the Kennebec is shaped like a pontoon. Other than that they look the same except that the togiak has a mesh platform on the back for storeing stuff and the kennebec dont, but the kennebec does have a large rear storage pouch in the back seat, which the togiak is lacking. Over all i think im leaning towards the togiak cause i think i will be able to fit more gear on it thanks to the rear mesh platform, but i dont wanna make a wrong choice.

So if anyone has these tubes, or wants to give advice on what they think would be the better choice please give me some feedback. I am putting links below to the two different tubes.

[url "http://www.classicaccessories.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=58&cid=3"]Togiak [/url]

[url "http://www.classicaccessories.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=59&cid=3"]Kennebec[/url]
[signature]
I do apologize of the bat, as I have never owned either, but I wanted to just add my observation if I may.
They both appear to have the front cross bar. While it does make for a more stable ride and a nicer apron platform, they are a pain and do/can break. I am assuming they can work with out but not well.
Your ads don't state what the material is or the denier. That would be a big concern to me, plus that "One YEAR" warranty is a bit scary.
What is the Price tag on these?
[signature]
off side question here but which CA toon do you own??

MacFly
[signature]
the price should range between 130 and 150. that is what I saw last year anyway. I bought to Togiak last year and I love it so far. I have been out on it a lot and it moves great and has a ton of storage. I still haven't caught a fish on it though.

Jason
[signature]
This is the one I want:

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat360010&id=0052633320290a&navCount=3&podId=0052633&parentId=cat360010&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat360010&id=0052633320290a&navCount=3&podId=0052633&parentId=cat360010&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true[/url]
[signature]
This is the one I want:

http://www.cabelas.com/...01233&hasJS=true

Just don't lean forward[cool]
[signature]
I couldn't tell you which tube is better but I can tell you go with classic accessories if you can. Trout unlimited is horrible to work with with warranty issues. On the other hand classic accessories is pretty nice. At least when I had a problem with a tube and had to work with them both. For what it is worth.[crazy]
[signature]
Just don't lean forward[cool][/quote]

That is exactly why I have a toon and a 16' boat, many toys for all occasions.[:p]
[signature]
Im gonna try to answer all the questions here with one post, sorry if i miss any. Macfly I own the CA Rogue and i love it!!! a ton of room on it and i am comfortable all day in it. i actually have 2 of these but i gave 1 to my dad. The reason i got 2 is the one i purchased had a very minor thing wrong with the fame, it is sill usable and i fixed it myself. I called CA and asked them if they could send me a new part anyway. They did with no questions asked. Here is the thing, the kept on sending me the wrong frame piece and after the second time they did not get it right i called them and they decided just to send me a whole new boat!!! Cool huh! There customer service is top notch!

Goddess the material is nylon, i guess that is ok being that i will not be using this tube very much? whats your take on that? [#000000][/#000000]rw02kr43 is right on the price range too. I did find the togiak for $115 at sams club though.

rw02kr43, so u like the boat? do u think it will be ok getting past the surf on a beach? How much storage is on that platform on the back??? Are the storage pockets on the side a nice size? Is it possible you can take some pictures of the back cargo area of the boat, and any others of the boat you would like to share?

fish1on, i have a 12' aluminum boat that i made into a little bass boat that has a 10HP. i also have a CA Rogue that u use a ton. My dad has a 20' lowe pontoon boat that he keeps docked at the local lake! i got plenty of options and i still aint saticfied lol. But when i comes to fishing gear are we ever lol.

Thanks for the help everyone keep it coming! [Wink]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]This is the one I want:

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/...01233&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/...01233&hasJS=true[/url]

Just don't lean forward[cool][/quote]

I'll never get in one again that's for sure! I nicknamed the one I was in "flipper"[Image: scaredworried.gif]
[signature]
I would call it the Terminator, Flipper is too cute and cudly[Wink]

BAck to the boats in questioned. I read allot on a Washington site and several there have the "T" and are quite happy.
Just be careful EVERYONE and don't skimp on the PFD.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Whatever you do, stay away from the Kennebec. that was my first "Pon-tube" and while it was okay you can do a lot better. It still has a low-riding seat, that keeps you in the water. It has the stabilizer bar, which is a pain. And both the valves and pockets are poorly made and fail soon. Furthermore, the two seperate round ended air chambers catch the wind too much and it is very tough to maintain control in any kind of breeze.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whatever you get, get something with the V shape. They maneuver a lot better in the breeze and in choppy water. Also, if you look at an ODC 420 or a Fish Cat, they have a higher riding foam seat that does away with the need for a stabilizer bar.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've been wanting to inflate my toon lately anyway. I'll do that tomorrow and take some pics

Jason
[signature]
I don't knwo why I called it a toon. It's a tube. Anyway, here are some pics from my cold driveway.

[Image: 100_6956.JPG]
[Image: 100_6962.JPG]
[Image: 100_6963.JPG]
[Image: 100_6961.JPG]
[Image: 100_6959.JPG]

[Image: 100_6958.JPG]

Jason
[signature]
You just sold me on the Togiak!! I really like the way the layout is on it. Seems like its got a ton of room on it. i really like how big the mesh platform is on the back of it, seems like you could really fit alot of stuff back there. Well as long as its stuff you don't mind getting wet i would think lol.

The seat looks cumfy. How far up does the water come up on you when you are sitting in it? Im 6'1" 220lbs so i think im gonna sink a bit lol.

What do you think about taking this tube to the beach and launching in the surf? Think its up for the challenge? Anyway thanks a million for the pictures, you covered every angle i wanted to see.
[signature]
I tend to sit about mid wasit in the water. Maybe a little higher. I'm 6'3 and about 248. I wear waders with it. I think it would be okay taking it out on the surf. Just be careful of any rocks or anything like that. I'm planning to go to FP this summer and hoping to take my tube with me.

Jason
[signature]
I've had the kennebec for 2 years and I really like it. it's very comfortable and works well on the smaller lakes and ponds I fish. I don't mind sitting in the water. I haven't tried one with a higher seat but I'm sure I'd like those as well. I've had it out about 3 dozen times with no issues. I have been looking at the H3 and some of the higher end tubes and they sure look nice. I good point was made about the V shaped tubes gliding through the water more smoothly. There has been a few times where the wind got pretty stiff and I really had to kick hard to back to my launch point.
[signature]