Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bigfoot Booties
[cool]I am a big guy with big feet...size 13 shoe size. I know there are other tubers and tooners out there who are also "dainty". That has presented a problem when shopping for protective footwear to put over the soft neoprene foot sections on my waders. They just don't make anything for us bigfoot tubers that are large enough to fit over a well-stuffed neoprene wader foot.

I have finally just about worn out the Cabelas tubin' booties I bought about 30 years ago. They quit selling them shortly after I got mine. Since then I have tried a bunch of different ways to cover the neoprene with something I could also walk in on any surface.

I think I finally have the answer. Yesterday on Willard Bay I tried my new modified divers booties for the first time. I took them through snow and over exposed asphalt roads...about a half mile each way. They were comfortable to walk in and they stayed firmly on my feet both during the trudging and while fishing. Both important.

I got the booties in a size 16 (hard to find) from [url "http://www.scuba.com/"]http://www.scuba.com/[/url] . They have a fantastic assortment of boots in all sizes and types. Mine are thin neoprene with rubber reinforced toes and heels. The brand is Deep See and up to size 13 they are only about $30. I had to pay extra for the big boys' models.

After previously experimenting (satisfactorily) on a size 15 in a cheaper model, I found that it was necessary to make a slit about halfway down the top surface in order to be able to pull them on over your wader feet.. They were held snugly in place by the fins, while in use, but were a bit loose for any long distance walking. They were also susceptible to coming off in sticky mud or in snow.

After receiving the larger size 16 booties, I made the slits in the topside and then added some closing strips...using neoprene with velcro parts. I attached the velcro base to the top of the booties with neoprene cement, and the sticky part to the strip of neoprene...also using the neoprene cement. (see pics)

The end result is that they go on easy and then can be pulled tighter with the velcro strip straps. They survived the first major test with neither boot slipping off and the fasteners remaining together for the entire trip.

I am impressed with the quality on the new booties. They have good padded soles and plenty of reinforcement at potential wear points. I anticipate that I will get years of good use from them.
[signature]
I just knew those "Bigfoot" tracks were real:o)
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Anybody who follows me, and sees the size of my footprints, could easily believe in Bigfoot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I guess I should wear my big fur coat when I go fishing and really give folks an "experience".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've been using thrift store Nikes that I can get for around three dollars a pair. The last longer than you would think and the large sizes make them easy to find. I usually get a pair that is about two sizes too big, or 13's for me. Just a thought from somebody that fishes on the cheap, yet most every day.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good suggestion. That is what I wear during the warmer months...when I fish "wet". I have a size 13 foot. But, in Utah the water temps get below 40 degrees and you need a couple of layers of wool under neoprene waders. That takes a size 15 or 16 bootie to fit over those. No way even a size 16 shoe will fit...even if you could find a pair for $3. Might have to raid the garbage cans of some of the NBA players to find a big pair.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well you could raid their garbage or just ask for their throw aways. You being the number one Jazz fan and all.

Now for a more serious question. How well did they fit inside your fins? I have a couple of different pairs and neither its well inside my fins while I'm wearing waders. Loose the waders and they are great.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I wear the Mares Plana fins...size XL. They have a soft foot pocket...very large. What I have always liked about them is that by simply adjusting the foot straps I can wear them all year...light booties in the summer and STUFFED waders in the winter. Never a problem with either getting the neoprenes in the fins or with foot constriction.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That must be the difference. I have the mares avantis. They have a more solid foot pocket. I can get the dive boots in them without waders. Tight fit on one pair (the new ones ofcourse) and the old pair slip right in. Hmmm both pairs came from scuba.com also. They have some great stuff over there.
[signature]