Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling techniques overlooked
How are stripers attracted to lures? Well sorry to say its always the action. Yes, color has its part, but mostly the action. Action generates sound, sound is vibration. So stripers, first of all witness an upper disruption of some nature. They move up to see what is happening. They witness the action and see the colors move vividly.

The biggest point I make here is the disruption to the surface. Oh, just like bait fish. Thats the very point here. You want your action like baitfish. Well baitfish run in large schools as witnessed on your electronics. Some schools are at different water levels depending on the tide and depending on the foraging fish and how they are moving the baitfish.
Stripers like all other fish are no dummies. They move baitfish mostly towards the surface, where they got a distiction on a 3 D level, using the sky as a better means to gauge the meals position. So where is this all heading? Well its called teaser baits. Yes, you are much more familiar with teasers when Marlin fishing and alike, but they are also vital for a good trolling technique while fishig for rock. Yes, they have no hooks, get over it. Yes, fish will hit them , but that is what you want. The more activity on the surface , the better off you are. I sometimes lay out for rows of teaser baits. Yes, four rows, and sometimes eight with double attachments. I place my lures between the school of teaser baits. The more they flop, spin, dip ,dive, and shoot back up the better. I love to see behind my boat literally on fire with jumping teaser baits. What I do then is place my lures at 5-8 foot depth just under the teasers. Yes, you need to work your butt off keeping everything apart, but the results are worth every minute of it. When you get hooked up, keep the boat moving, just ever so slightly to keep the teasers on the surface. The teasers meet at four points to the boat, so the worst that can happen is a fish jumps over one of those lines and seldom do they. You fishig will improve ten fold when trolling in this manner. Now if you hit a school of snapper blues, well that might be it for the teasers. Do not intentionally run over schooling fish. You never know if they are blues or small rock. Make your own schools. You would be surprised, but if done correctly , you will draw in the birds. So if the birds are watching your baits, you are doing it correctly,knowing the rock are soon to follow.
If while trolling, you elect also to run a fish oil line behind the boat, that is even better. It not only draws the rock up , but makes them stay for dinner. So buy some chum and have someone throw it behind the boat as you are trolling. Remember you want the baits to dance, but never to fly. Move the boat just enough to cause the disruption behind the boat. Again, the birds, they will let you know how good your baits look. Just a trick, but it works. More tips shall follow at later dates.
[signature]