Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fairly new to fly fishing
I have started to fly fish alittle during my fishing trips and i have not got it quite figured out yet. well some of it anyway. I can tie a few flys on my own and really enjoy doing so, i can cast fairly well for the small amount of time i have been fly fishing, but the one thing i haven't quite figured out yet is how long a leader and tipit should i have. any advice i can get is always really appreciated.
and i have some advice and a warning for anglers who have never tried fly fishing - get a fly rod buy one, borrow one, or whatever you have to do and go try it![Wink] heres the warning once you hook a fish on a fly rod its like a drug your hooked(no pun intended)and it is just about all you will think about and it keeps getting worse with the better rods, reels, and flys and don't get me going on fly tieing. (ye, just gotta have it, man!!)[crazy]
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif]Hi there shadjo73 & thanks for visiting the Fly forum. Here are a couple of charts that you might find helpful.
[center][inline tsll.jpg]
[signature]
[indent]Thanx that helps
[/indent]
[signature]
Lead length depends on what you are fishing. Generally, if you are fishing DRIES or emergers it will depend on how clear the water is and how spooked the fish are. 7' to 12' leaders. Nymphing is not so critical.
I use furled leaders but for the knotless tapered leaders I would say a 7 1/2' leader and matching or one size smaller tippet in 12" to 20" length
This length leader will cover just about anything.
There has been some Gin Clear waters that I had to use a 12' leader and stay very low.
[signature]