Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
small creek in winter
It was above freezing and the wind stopped blowing finally, so I took a chance in a creek. I had to park a little out of the way because the road was still covered with ice and snow and it's a hell of a hill to be stuck down. Hiked my way down and tied on a fly I made. I lost 2 and landed 2. Much better than I was expecting.
[Image: 101_0328.jpg]
[Image: 101_0330.jpg][Image: 101_0329.jpg]
[signature]
Right on, and bonus on the self tied fly!
The colors on them cold Trout is unbelievable. That reel looks familiar[Wink]

Thanks for sharing the trip.

I went up my usual canyon yesterday, but waist high snow to the creek made me just take a few pictures and cruise home enjoying the scenery.
[signature]
Waist deep snow..ick. I can't wait for it to be gone.
The fly was just a little puff ball tied with hot pink estaz. Not much to that tie at all. Did you get the flies I sent?
[signature]
I did, didn't you get my PM? So did John. They are FANTASTIC! I also sent you some flies. I am also considering a larger reel for my Spey. All the line fits on the one I have, but it is a little light.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there tail grabber - what size hook were you using & is that like an egg pattern?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I honestly don't know what size hook I used. But here is a pic of the fly. and a pic of the hook used after it was untied. The circled hook is the hook used for the fly the hook next to it is a size 10 standard 2/x long. Hope that helps.
[Image: 101_0336.jpg]
[Image: 101_0338.jpg]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Looks like a #10 to me. Was just courious as to the size of the fly itself. Always makes one feel good to catch a fish on ones own fly. Nice going. BTW here is a pic of a Pink Estaz Egg.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline pee.jpg]

[center]
[signature]
those are some nice looking fish.. and good sized for a quick trip on the water during a break in the weather...

have to say the two flies look an awful lot alike.. looks like its just some pink chenille wrapped around a size 10/12 nymph hook.. awesome.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
I like the little bit of flash thrown in there. What did you do for the head? or is that just pink thread and a finish whip?
[signature]
It is a SCUD hook. I think you could use regular Chenille or for a little flash, Sparkle Chenille, Cactus Chenille, or Estaz. There is a difference i fiber length and you probably want longer.

Who says men don't look good in PINK[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
lol... I knew it was one of dem special named hooks.. ya know.. like nymph.. scud, fishing.. LOL..

forgot about the estaz.. and I agree that little bit of flasabou in the tail looks good..

btw.. I dont wear pink.. just use it to catch fish.. [laugh]

MacFly
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]One can build up the head with flat wax nylon. Have seen some incorporating a bead head.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Alan added the bead...He calles it his "EGG SUCKING GLOW BUG"[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Just may have to try one of those EGG SUCKING GLOW BUGS.
[signature]